1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink - Whats the Lowest Compression?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gaz_0001, Jan 27, 2004.

1. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

I am currently copying my Red Dwarf Series 2 & 3. I want the whole thing but the compression reate is 59.5%. Can i do i good copy at this rate of compression? I will be using Deep Analysis.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

There is sometimes confusion here. When you say 59.5%, is that the figure that Shrink gives on screen? If it is then the actual compression is 100-59.5 = 40.5%. If that's the case by all means go ahead and definitely use 'analysis' option. If you are using the latest version of Shrink you will still get a good result.

3. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

I mean that is what it says on the screen of shrink. I am definatley going to use the Deep Analysis mode but i dont want to be wasting, time, DVD's and money doing this if someone out there knows that with this compression rate i will have a poor copy.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Why are you putting both series 2 and series 3 on the same disc. I backed up Red Dwarf and only put one series on each disc and then a seperate dsic for extras/episodes if needed. I didnt compress

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I have compressed a full movie at 40% with superb results so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

At 40% it would look like a pile of pixelated shite on my 60" screen. Even on a 32 inch, 40% using Deep Analysis wouldnt be too hot, light backgrounds would look blocky.

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I have a 32inch widescreen and with v 3.1.3 using 'analysis' I can't tell the difference with the original at 36% - honestly.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, I have been through this compression thing before with shrink and this is what other members came up with. The new versions of shrink shows actual % the movie will be burned at. If shrink shows 60% you are only shrinking 40%. Reason behind this way of thinking is because as you remove extras in re-author mode, the percent number goes UP not DOWN. If the 60% shown was the compression figure, then removing extras would make that figure go down. I was told older versions of Shrink was the other way around. This was what came out of the last time this was on a thread. It sounds right.
    Jerry

9. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

Rite, i copied Red Dwarf S2 @ 57% (On Screen) compression with Deep analysis. The copy looks absolutely fine, i can even tell, however the TV i am using is small and sh*te. I will take it to th 36" and let you all know how it goes. I am one of them people who will nmotice any depreciation in quality straight away.

10. mickas

mickas Guest

Instead of burning the movie straight to disc why don't you preview it first with Zoomplayer, then you can see how bad it may or may not pixilate?
    And don't be greedy only put one movie on one disc or approximately an hour and a half of a movie.....

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Oriphus,
    Please private message me at your earliest convienance m8. I tried to "pm" you but can't locate your name in the Afterdawn forum members list?

Shoey :)

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Viewing it with zoomplayer is a pretty good idea, forgotten about that. Ideal screen seetings should be 1280x1024 to show any variations.

Shoey - sent u a PM mate - just in case u didnt know, there is a we face icon at teh right of each post i make which allows you to send PM's.