1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink won't shrink movie

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Rewired, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Rewired

Rewired Member

Everything was working fine as I was trying to get a music video shrunk to fit on a 4.7GB DVD. After initial analysis compression was up to 62%. I decided to do a deep analysis. About 96% through DVD Shrink encountered an error and closed. When I reluanched the program and reinserted the DVD, Automatic compression was at 92% with the "slider" all the way to the left and the file was too big to fit on the DVD. I tried to enter a custom setting but it would not take it. I restarted Deep Analysis and it picked up from where it left off, but it will not let me compress the DVD enough to fit on a 4.7GB disk.

I uninstalled DVD Shrink and re-installed it. Same problem. It "remembered" that particular disk was already analyzed and won't go below 92%. I tried a different movie and everything works fine. But when I load up the disk I started with I can't get it to shrink.

Is there a way for me to "erase" the memory that DVD Shrink has for this disk and start from scratch or what do I need to do. I have been all through the preferences settings and everything is fine. I have the target DVD size set properly to DVD-5 4.7GB.

Any ideas?

2. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

Sometimes when you use the same disc with another software and then you go back to Shrink it will start over again. Also if your not running ANYDVD in the back ground I would suggest that you install that (21 day trial) and try using Shrink again. Try using DVD Decrypter also because different software can perform different things. try out this link for good guides-

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Don't see what using anydvd in this instance is gonna achieve when original poster (for now) wants to make shrink forget about the film.

i think there's a Shrink directory in 'Documents and Settings' in Win2k. Either way there is a directory somewhere that you can find what you need to delete. I have done it before but can't remember where it is, but if i found it, it must be somewhere simple :)

Rich

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Click on my computer, click on tools and folder options. Click on the view tab and click on show hidden files and folders. Hit apply and ok. Click on local disc C(or whatever your master hardirive is) and click on documents and settings. Click on all users and then application data. Click on the dvd shrink folder. Once your in this folder delete all the files. Empty your trash can and your set.

As far as the anydvd coment, like creaky said wtf does this have to do with deleting the analyzation info. I notice you pimp this program a lot in your replies when it isn't really necessary.

5. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

He said when he gets to 62% it fails. I've had problems with this before until I installed ANYDVD. Some movies will not read the disk at all with ANYDVD active so you just toggle it on and off. But every time I encounter and error I turn my ANYDVD on and it works then, so yeah until it fails me I'm going to continue to pimp it up.

6. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

I've mentioned ANYDVD once before. It was necessary. Somebody stated that when they hit open disc it encounters an error right away and you said it was a dirty disc. Thats not a dirty disc thats a copy right that Shrink can't decrypt. I explained that ANYDVD would eliminate this because I experience this problem numerous times. If you disagree with me thats fine, but don't be a dick about it niggr.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I hate title status whores double.

Anyway, rewired what movie are you trying to back up? Are you having any luck yet? Do you have a log we can take a look at? What program(burning rom) are you using? Have you backed up movies successfully before? How much memory is available on your hard drive? Do you defrag regularly?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  8. Rewired

Rewired Member

Here's where I am now. I deleted the analysis files from the Hidden DVD Shrink directory and was able to re-analyze the video. I then went to make the ISO image and I got one of those "DVD Shrink has encountered an unexpected error and must close" messages about 50% of the way through.

I decided to switch to DVD Decrypter and was able to make an uncompressed ISO image. I then tried to open the ISO image in DVD Shrink and again I got an "unexpected error must close" message around 98% of the way through.

I have backed up at least 10 other movies before and never had this problem. I have 512MB of RAM and recently defragged my 160GB hard drive. The movie I am trying to backup is "John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers and friends 70th Birthday Concert". I have not tried ANYDVD but may give that a shot tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input.

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

So are you saying it stops in the middle of encoding or in the middle of burning?

10. Veblin

Veblin Active member

I would recomend ripping with DVD Decrypter in File Mode and not ISO Mode.
    You are less likely to get an error in DVD Shrink that way.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/156970

11. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Sounds like that dreaded running boy.

12. creaky

what movie is it by the way ?

Rich

13. Rewired

Rewired Member

The movie I am trying to backup is "John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers and friends 70th Birthday Concert".

I will try copying from DVD Decrupter in File Mode.

I have not yet had the opportunity to attempt a burn. So the problem emerges during encoding.

Thanks

14. Rewired

Rewired Member

I ran DVD Decrypter in File Mode. Then Encoded those files to an ISO image with DVD Shrink. Finally I burned the image to a DVD using DVD Decrypter. I have not tried to play the DVD but everything seemed to work without getting any errors.

Thanks for the hint to run Decrypter in File Mode. That seems to have done the trick.

Thanks also to anyone else that contributed.

15. Rewired

Rewired Member

Well, that didn't really work either. The DVD was not recognized by my player. I tried it on a different unit and also got an "unidentified file or disk" message.

The steps I used were:
    1). Run DVD Decrypter in File Mode
    2). Create an ISO image from the files in step 1 using DVD Shrink.
    3). Burn the ISO image to DVD using DVD Decrypter.

I repeated step 3, thinking I may have had a bad burn, but checked Verify Files in DVD Decrypter. DVD Decrypter completed the burn but could not start the verification process. It could not recogize the media in the drive even though it had just burned the image. This leads me to conclude the ISO image created in Step 2 is bad.

I am now trying to create a disk using DVDClone from the files created in Step 1 (DVD Decrypter in File mode). I'll re-post later with results. Everything keeps pointing to a problem with Shrink and this video.

Any other advice?

16. creaky

here's something to try. dvd decryptor in file mode. my way is to rip entire dvd to hard drive, then dvd shrink from there. you can pick just the bits you want to decrypt instead of the whole thing but i do it that way cus i can never remember how to do it. of course you need loadsa space to rip entire dvd.

i'm just recommending this cus its simple, best way if you got probs to start small, then try other solutions later

Rich

17. Rewired

Rewired Member

This is essentially what I did. DVD Shrink read the files DVD Decrypter made and encoded to an ISO image file. I then went back to Decrypter and burned that ISO file to to the DVD. But it didn't work.

When CloneDVD accessed the same files, transcoded into its own ISO image and burned to DVD it worked. So obviously using DVD Decrypter in FILE mode worked properly but DVD Shrink did not create a useful ISO image from those files.

So I got it to work, but not with DVD Shrink.