1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by shortbus5, Jun 25, 2004.

1. shortbus5

shortbus5 Member

I am sure that I missed this but, I will post it anyways. I bought 4X dvd-r and was previous using 2X dvd-r media with dvd shrink. When I tried to burn with the 4x, it gave me an error message, basically saying that it couldn't burn at 4x. WHY?

2. aidaahern

aidaahern Guest

Is your burner rated at 4X? Shrink isn't a burning program is it? I am new to these things, and am interested in seeing what some of the veterans respond to you. Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2004
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Some suggestions:

1) Update the firmware for your drive. Newer firmwares typically improve media compatibility. Here's a link:

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

2) Ensure that DMA is enabled for your drive. If the drive is in PIO mode, the transfer sppeds won't be fast enough to support higher burn speeds. Another link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

3) If you're not already doing so, use quality media such as Ritek G04, Verbatim Metal AZO, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden. Low quality media will cause many, many headaches such as power calibration errors, failed burns, they won't burn at advertised speed and skipping/freezing during playback.

If you give us some system specs, make/model burner, media brand/type, all related software being used and specific error messages we can better help you.

And welcome to AD, the both of you :)

4. shortbus5

shortbus5 Member

The burner burns up to 8x.

5. aidaahern

aidaahern Guest

What program is it that gives you an error while you are burning??

6. shortbus5

shortbus5 Member

I have an HP computer, just put 60 gig extra hard drive into the computer, and using DVD shrink. No sure of the media type was on sale at officemax. Haven't had any problems until I got that error. The DVD burner is Pacific Digital. It has been working well up till that point.

What is firmware?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bill
    Http://www.buddiesproshop.com[/small]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can use this tool to ID the manufacturer of the discs you're using:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Please post results.

In very basic terms firmware is like a little BIOS chip built into your burner that gives it instructions on what to do and burning parameters. Newer firmwares will often improve media compatibility and write strategy so updating it may help your situation. It needs to be done correctly though or you can hose your drive. The firmware link I posted earlier has a forum there that has lots of useful information about what firmware is and how to flash your drive.

Is DMA enabled for your drive?