1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by md2277, Aug 12, 2004.

1. md2277

md2277 Member

when I use dvd shrink with dvd decryptor (works great buy the way)do i have to check the box in decryptor to "verify my sectors" this just makes the process take longer.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

You don't have to. Some folks do but I never use that feature myself.

3. md2277

md2277 Member

Thank you, I was useing dvdxcopy plat. but kept on getting errors while writing to my dvd's I am now using dvd shrink with decryptor and it works great. The only think is that it take about an hour to do the whole thing from backing up layer to writing to dvd, is ther anything that will make this process go faster but still have gret quality.

4. BigRed1

BigRed1 Member

Get a faster burner if you want more speed. The Plextor 712A with Ridata branded RICHOJPNR01 media will speed read and burn a movie, using Shrink and Decrypter, in about 20-25 minutes beginning to end.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hello again,

I average about an hour myself for the entire process when doing a DVD-9 so you're doing fine. Encoding a movie is very CPU/RAM intensive so the time it takes to encode is directly related to your processor speed and the amount of RAM you have.

A great way to lower your rip times would be to get an inexpensive DVD ROM if you don't already have one. The ROM will rip at much higher speeds than an unhacked burner and save wear and tear on the burner at the same time. Adding more RAM is a relatively inexpensive way to speed up the encoding.

As for the faster burners, I'm a staunch believer that faster isn't always better. My Plextor PX-708A will burn at 8X but, with the exception of a few test burns at 8X, I burn all my movies at 4X. The faster you burn the more chance you have for errors and reduced compatibility. Some folks may have great luck burning like the dickens but I remain unconvinced that the few minutes saved is worth it :)