1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TheOnly, Dec 16, 2004.

1. TheOnly

TheOnly Guest

I'm currently using DVD Shrink 3.2 and I usually re-author the DVD so I only burn the main feature. Don't really care about the main menus, extra features, etc etc...Anyways, it takes me usually around a hour and 40 minutes at least to encode a movie. After reading around the forums it has come to my attention that some people are saying they are encoding a full DVD in around 20 minutes, is this possible? If so can someone maybe link me to the guide or maybe tell me how? I'm guessing you change some kind of pref. or option in the program for this to take place.

Also, here's the DVD Burner I'm currently using if it matters at all...
    http://www.mdmm.com/products/optical/MegaSTOR6in1-16DL.asp

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2004
  2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

OK then, we need a little bit more info, what are your system specs, processor, memory etc. Is your transfer mode in device manager set to PIO mode or DMA? This is the usual culprit with slow read/ burn times.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi TheOnly, welcome to aD,

If you have choosen to use the Quality Settings in "Backup" then your time is about right. If you wish to go faster then "Un-tick" BOTH boxes in the Quality Settings" tab in Backup" and your time will change quickly -

Always remember, Quality = time, in everything :)

Pete

4. TheOnly

TheOnly Guest

Thanks pulsar, I appreciate it. I'll update with my PC information in the morning. :)

Thanks Pete, I'll check quality settings also.

5. TheOnly

TheOnly Guest

Pete, both of these boxes were already un-ticked and I'm receiving the encoding times of a hour and 40 minutes.

I have a standard Compaq Presario 4410US, Intel Celeron CPU 1300MHz, 1.29 GHz, 128 MB of RAM.

Currently have 26.7 GB free.

Drives: Standard Dvd Rom drive that came with the computer and I installed the DVD Burner which is:
    http://www.mdmm.com/products/optical/MegaSTOR6in1-16DL.asp

I'm not sure how to check if the device manager is set to PIO mode or DMA.

6. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Hey Pulsar & Scuba Pete, I'm having the same issue with Shrink. How do I check if it's in PIO or DMA mode and what are those???

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

OK, click on start/right click my computer/properties/hardware/device manager/IDE-atapi controllers/primary IDE controller/advanced/change transfer mode to DMA. Hey presto! Ensure you have DMA enabled in your BIOS, otherwise it will not work!

8. TheOnly

TheOnly Guest

DMA was enabled already for the primary driver. Maybe it isn't enabled in BIOS. Any way you can help me figure out how to do that, please?

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If you have DMA enabled in your drives, then it is enabled in your BIOS. It looks like your system specs are not the best they could be, I have a 2.6 athlon & 1gig of RAM. This could be your problem. I would get as much RAM as possible. In todays specs 128RAM is usually the bare minimum you need, hence your system is not too quick. All of this probably means you may be stuck with slow read/burn times, unless you upgrade of course!
    Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but I would seriously consider upgrading. Todays software is very demanding. XP is renowned for consuming your computer resources. You may need a new motherboard to handle faster RAM & CPU. What a bummer!!

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Pulsar's right - you're using 128mb of RAM and a bit of that is used for your background apps.

Speaking of which, Go to "start", "run", type in "msconfig" choose the "Startup" tab, click "Disable all", "apply", "OK", "OK" to reboot and then see if it picks up a bit. Don't expect too much until you get 512 of RAM onboard.

That's something else Pulsar - those PC's they sell with monitor and printer for $500.00 on TV. They have only 128 of RAM and no place on the MB to add more - What an education those pple get when they want their PC to do something and have to buy more stuff to make it operate.

Oooohhh well . . . .

SEASON'S GREETINGS all,

pete

11. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Thanks Scuba Pete & Pulsar.

My comp. was already in DMA mode, but unchecking both boxes in the quality settings made a big difference in speeding up the burning process (still writing at 4X speed )

Thanks Again
    dabig25

12. TheOnly

TheOnly Guest

Yeah, encoding takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes now so I saved about 20 minutes by changing msconfig, so thanks for that.

Thank god I only have to last about a week longer until I get my 512 MB of RAM. :)

13. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

the only prob with disabling all the startups is you will manually have to "put on" say your anti virus..remember to do that...or any software firewalls you have...but pete is right....those apps that auto open when you start up unless you disable them eat up ram bad....very few should be there on the right of the task bar

14. TheOnly

TheOnly Guest

Yeah I had a ridiculous amount of programs that manually started when the computer started.

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Or click on start, go to run & type "msconfig" this does much the same. I prefer the start4u app though. Each to his own!!

17. TheOnly

TheOnly Guest

Yep, I went with Pete's idea and just manually went in and disabled all using msconfig.

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

~ Season's Greetings all ~

19. TheOnly

TheOnly Guest

Didn't know if I should bump this thread or not, but just wanted to say thank you to everyone again and seasons greetings to you too Pete.

20. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Always happy to help, that is why we are here. It is nice to get appreciated for picking our brains! (not that I have much to pick at!)
    Burn, baby burn, come on baby light my fire!!!
    Kind regards & seasons greetings,
    Pulsar