1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Amberly, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Amberly

Amberly Member

I keep seeing people posting about using dvd shrink with dvd decrypter... do you have to use dvd shrink with the decrypter or can you use decrypter by itself? i'm such a newbie, so i'm confused...:)

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

DVD Decrypter will rip and burn (burn ISO's only) ... cannot compress.

Shrink will rip and compress ... Will not burn (by itself).

For those who don't have Nero, CopyToDVD, etc .... they can use DVD Decrypter to burn w/ Shrink.

Shrink is usually more than capable of ripping most movies. For the ones it can't, you rip w/ DVD Decrypter first ... then you run it through Shrink.

If your doing a dvd-5 to a dvd-5 you can just use DVD Decrypter (in ISO mode, both read and write) ... because there is no need for compression.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There are 2 different size dvd movies on the market right now that most call dvd5 (single layer) and dvd9 (dual layer). The most common blank media is single layer but there are now dual layer burners and blanks also. If you had a dual layer burner and were backing up like for like discs, (single layer movie to single layer blank or dual layer movier to dual layer blank) all you would need is DVD Decrypter. The problem is that most people want to burn a dual layer movie onto a single layer blank. This is where you need DVDShrink. It can compress the larger dvd9 movie to fit onto a dvd5 blank. That is why most people need both programs. Also Shrink can not actually burn a dvd but can use Decrypter as the burn back program. There are guides off the guide tab at the page top that will show you how to use the programs together. You can download the software off the software tab. That should get you started.

Jerry

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Flip218 beat me by 1 minute this time.

Jerry

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

oops,

Yea left out the dual layer part :)

6. Amberly

Amberly Member

Thanks I appriciate the insight...and for not being made feel stupid :)

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

We try not to make anyone feel too stupid. We were all Newbies at one time. The best help on this site is the search feature. However the actual forum search is off right now waiting equipment upgrades. So right now it takes you to Google. There is also good information off the guide tab and the glossary tab for terms you don't know or understand. Good luck and jump in if you need more help.

Jerry