1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by vitascope, Apr 20, 2005.

1. vitascope

vitascope Member

Hi
    I have been using Dvd shrink to back up DVD's,the (main move only) in the re-auther mode.

Dvd's are excellent sound and picture.
    The only real problem is it takes about 3 hours to back up a dvd??.

Is simple to add menus and special features??I ask this because Alien vs Predator keeps jumping!

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

The jumping is probably the blank media. Try and use a better quality blank media like Verbatim.
    The slows times are probably because your computer is going into PIO Mode due to conflicts w/in your computer's OS. Go to Device manager and check the secondary IDE Channel and see if it is in DMA. It needs to be there. If in PIO see if you can change it to DMA. If you can not then right click on the sec. IDE Channel and uninstall it. Then re-boot the computer and let Windows re-install it. You might need to D/L a Registry Cleaner to clean your registry. Google for one and see if you can find a free one

3. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

what is taking the most time to do,running it thru shrink or burning the dvd?what speed are you burning at?what burn program are you using?what kind of dvd media (-r or +r,and brand).not to be rude or discredit anybody,but there hasnt been enough info given to assume its the media.having all this info can better help you analyse your problem.by the way what are your pc specs?as for the dma settings,i have no knowledge in that field.but it sounds like good advise to me.

4. vitascope

vitascope Member

It takes about 1hr 30 mins for each process
    using -R Panasonic or maxell media,at x4 burning speed using nero.

5. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

well the time it takes to backup the movies sounds like a computer problem.it takes alot of system resources to encode and burn movies so if your system isnt high speed it might take awhile.i got 2.8mhz with 533fsb on mine and it takes about an hour and a half to do a movie and thats without tweaking it to run better.

but as far as the movie skipping try burning at lower speed.most people find a comfort zone at 2x.when recording at high speeds the writing process catches up with the reading process causing glitches.that is the purpose of a read buffer.just in case the read gets hung up for a sec it has enough time to get back on track before the write process catches up with it.