1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrinker getting very slow

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by copyadvd, Feb 14, 2007.

1. copyadvd

copyadvd Member

My problem is that dvd shrinker works great and copies dvds in about 25 min. when my comp. has been reformatted. After about 30 to 40 dvds have been decrypted the program begins to take longer to duplicate dvds. I am up to 3 to 4 hrs for one dvd currently and have no idea how to correct this problem without reformatting again. After each dvd has been duplicated, I immediatle delete the dvd from the hard drive. I also defrag, disc clean, delete cookies and temporary internet files on a regular bassis,( about once a week), But nothing seems to stop the dvd from taking longer to duplicate. Thanks for any help, I'm getting tired of reformating my comp. every other month.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

3. copyadvd

copyadvd Member

Thanks for the info, But it did not help, I checked and my comp. is in dma mode not pio. To be spacific, it is the analyzing and encoding process which has keeps taking longer. The burning process is fine. The analysing started at about 45 seconds to complete and now takes 3 min. This was a slow progression from 45s up to 3 min. Encoding was the same. It started only taking 25 min and slowly progressed to 3 to 4 hours. I have dvd shrink 3.2, is this particular program known for this problem? Anymore help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Do you have the quality enhancements checked in Shrink and what are your system specs. i.e Ram, CPU, etc.

5. little155

little155 Regular member

DVDShrink 3.2 is not known for problems, sounds to me like you have a computer problem not a DVDShrink Problem. Check for viruses and other malware and maybe defrag your computer.

6. mskimmy

mskimmy Guest

Go to www.download.com and type in Hard Drive Cleaner and then stroll down until you see GenDiskCleaner 1.0 and it is a free download and once you have it keep icon on your computer and everynight before you shut off your computer double click on icon and check every box and it will free up alot of space.I use it everytime I copy a movie and it does make a differents on my computer so that is my best.

Kimberley

7. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Shrink times depend on the DVD the Shrink options you select and your PC specs. Compression is the greatest factor on the time to backup a DVD.
    List your system specs [Chip-RAM-{HD size + % in use}]

You might
    Unistall - reinstall Shrink

Clear the Appliction folder for Shrink [in doc and settings]- run a search [hidden and system folders option for the saerch]

If you are using XP
    Open msconfig.exe
    Click on the Startup tab and uncheck all
    Click on the System tab check Hide all Microsoft services, then uncheck all [anything that has nothing to do with burning].

Restart and try too backup a DVD.

Afterwards open msconfig.exe and reverse the above steps.

Edit |-> msconfig will change what programs load at startup. Stay off the internet since most protection will be off. I assume you are not doing anything else when Shrink is running. You might also turn off some XP services if msconfig helped.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  8. copyadvd

copyadvd Member

my system spec are .....intell celeron, cpu 1.80ghz
    1.79ghz, 480mb of ram

9. copyadvd

copyadvd Member

I have completly deleted this program from the comp. and reinstalled it. This did not solve the problem. Also I use msconfig regularly to ensure other programs are not booting up when I start the comp. or am on the comp. I thank all of you for your help and appreciate your help with this problem. Any and all advise is appreciated!!!

10. little155

little155 Regular member

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, maybe someone will read this thread and have an answer for you. I have had slow down problems before but that was computer related. Again sorry.

11. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

copyadvd ,
    Although your specs are on the low side your times should be approx 2 2-1/2 hours if you are using the Quality Enhancements. If they are not checked then the problem is w/ your computer and it is not software related. You might try turning off your anti-virus and firewall and turn off the internet modem as that will give you more resources for Shrink to use. If the Quality Enhancements are checked then uncheck them to see if that will speed you up

12. 56delray

56delray Regular member

The spec are low for Shrink to be fast on every DVD.

Before u hit backup make a note of the the starting
    file size[MB]and the amount of compression.
    Compare these to the time it takes to encode.

You may have just been lucky on the DVDs that went fast.
    I have a P4 [3.2GHz] and will take me more than 25 min
    on any DVD with any amount of compression
    [Quality Enhancements enable]

I think u are looking to get more out of your system than is there

Edit Are u backing up the full disc or reauhoring

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im kinda haven the same problem with shrink. its taking almost 2 hours to do a movie. i am useing all the best quality setting shrink has. it just seems to be takeing longer than it use to... my DMA is set for ultra dma mode 4 and ultra dma 2 on my 2 drives. and ultra dma mode 5 on my HDD. i havent used shrink in some time is it just normal for it to take this long when useing all the quality settings??

14. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

cincyrob,
    Depending on your system specs and what they are, I would say yes. If you are using Dual Core then the answer is no

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just have a small celeron d 340 2.93 ghz CPU. no core 2 duo as of yet..lol

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heres the end of shrink process

[​IMG]

17. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

That should be close. Next one you do look at the clock also and see if the times is close to that

18. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Each DVD is different.
    You can not judge the time it will take Shrink
    by just how long the DVD is [hours].
    Some DVDs have alot of secne changes from
    frame to frame which can not be compressed
    as much as a static background.
    All else being equal, compression is the bigest factor.
    The DVD that took 2:23 to do is good
    if you had 80-90% compression.
    Not so good [slow] if there was no compression.

19. copyadvd

copyadvd Member

Thank you all, I appreciate the help!!! I guess I will Build my own computer now. I'll get the most for my buck that way. That should eleviate the some if not all of my problems. Speed city here I come!!!