1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD size question..just read it.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ericbee, Aug 28, 2003.

1. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

With all the talk of compression and the like I was wondering if there is an easy way to take the original dvd and use some "program" to determine what the actual size of the disc is in mb's.

The reason I ask is that I sometimes wonder if after all of the extra crap has been removed if you need to bother using any type of compression at all?

I know I could use decrypter to rip to a folder and then open the folder contents in a program like nero to see if it fit on a standard 4472 size but, I was wondering if there is an easier way to just check the enire file size.

2. HeeHawBoz

HeeHawBoz Member

Just look at the disc with Windows Explorer. It's easy to tell the main film because it's a bunch of sequentially numbered .VOBs that are over 1,000,000 kb each and total at least 4Gb.

Or, even better, look at the disc with DVDshrink and experiment with "unticking" audio tracks. DVDshrink will tell you exactly how big the main film is.

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

If you use Smartripper it'll only select the main movie files , hence showing you the size of the movie...
    (DVD Decrypter is the same,you'll need to hold down ctrl & hit the title set IFO)
    Nothing too hard about finding that out

What you'll need to do though is;
    Rip/unencrypt selected main movie VOB & title set IFO , seeing as there is no BUP file(s) they'll need to go through DVD2One / DVD Shrink to create them even if the movie is under 4.36Gb [4450mb]

I dont see the problem here ??

4. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

Yes use dvd shrink and reauthor, its so easy and lets you leave in whatever you like depending on disc space. But there are still discs that are over 4.36gb even when all extras/audio/subs are taken out. Eg - "Heat" I took out everything and still had to compress 40%! Vanilla sky 25%, Matrix 8% etc..

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I agree with that. DVD Shrink will show you in its size bar exactly how long (what size) a movie is in MB.

6. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

So you wanna take the original dvd and use some "program" to determine what the actual size of the disc is in mb's.

Nah, easiest thing to do is
    1. look at the dvd with explorer to see the sizes of the files (<4.3 = ok to fit on 1 dvdr)
    2. rip your files to HD and look with either DVD shrink or instantcopy (these programs can deselect the extraneous subtitles and audio).

My procedure for backing up consists of the following:
    put DVD in Drive.
    Use ddvdecryptor or smartripper to rip to HD
    Look at the files (the main movie [main .vob set] is usually >3Gb) if the movie is near the 4.3Gb size use ifoedit to rip the excess files (audio and subtitles) or use instant copy to burn DVD.
    If the dvd is bigger than 4.3Gb use IFOedit on Main VOB set (VOB extras) and this removes excess audio and subtitles, and place in new folder. check file sizes if too big use either DVD shrink or Instantcopy to shrink or burn respectively.
    A program is not needed to determine what the actual size of the disc is in mb's as long as you can use the explorer and the tools mentioned.
    Also the nearest automatic program that I know about would be instantcopy, as you can set the defaults to remove all extraneous audio and subtitles, while keeping the Menu's, if you want them.
    I'd use IFOedit mailnly as it allows the user to strip out the movie .vob files and keep the best quality, movies bigger than 4.3Gb can be then shrunk by DVDshrink (nice and easy to use) or instantcopy (I'd use DVDshrink first as Instantcopy does take a while to shrink prior to burn if shrinking is needed.)
    m

7. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

So you wanna take the original dvd and use some "program" to determine what the actual size of the disc is in mb's.

Nah, easiest thing to do is
    1. look at the dvd with explorer to see the sizes of the files (<4.3 = ok to fit on 1 dvdr)
    2. rip your files to HD and look with either DVD shrink or instantcopy (these programs can deselect the extraneous subtitles and audio).

My procedure for backing up consists of the following:
    put DVD in Drive.
    Use ddvdecryptor or smartripper to rip to HD
    Look at the files (the main movie [main .vob set] is usually >3Gb) if the movie is near the 4.3Gb size use ifoedit to rip the excess files (audio and subtitles) or use instant copy to burn DVD.
    If the dvd is bigger than 4.3Gb use IFOedit on Main VOB set (VOB extras) and this removes excess audio and subtitles, and place in new folder. check file sizes if too big use either DVD shrink or Instantcopy to shrink or burn respectively.
    A program is not needed to determine what the actual size of the disc is in mb's as long as you can use the explorer and the tools mentioned.
    Also the nearest automatic program that I know about would be instantcopy, as you can set the defaults to remove all extraneous audio and subtitles, while keeping the Menu's, if you want them.
    I'd use IFOedit mailnly as it allows the user to strip out the movie .vob files and keep the best quality, movies bigger than 4.3Gb can be then shrunk by DVDshrink (nice and easy to use) or instantcopy (I'd use DVDshrink first as Instantcopy does take a while to shrink prior to burn if shrinking is needed.)
    m

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Please edit your double post

Also IFOEdit is not needed in the process as audio & subtitles can be extracted using DVD2One or DVD Shrink ; )

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I dont think Ericbee really cares though since he posted it over a month ago and hasnt replied. But hey, atleast we had fun ;-)