1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD size too big.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by deezalboy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

I`m using DVD Shrink for a movie-selected "Main Movie"-backup but a message says (see attached)the current DVD size is too big. The size is 4555mb.
    Could you tell me what to do in DVD Shrink to make it fit for burning please? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. attar

attar Senior member

Have you selected 'Automatic' under 'Compression Settings' in the right hand pane - it defaults to 4464MB.

Also in the main menu, 'Edit' > 'Preferences' you can set a 'Custom' compression (4300 is conservative) and select that instead of 'DVD5'.
    Then you would select 'Custom' in the right hand pane.

[​IMG]

3. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Thank You. (1)Yes i selected 'automatic' under compression settings-when does it default to 4464mb? (2) I went to 'edit' 'preferences' and selected custom and it changed to 4464mb but it doesn`t stay at that, it went back to dvd-5. I then selected custom and put in 4300mb and it stayed there. (3)("Then select 'Custom' in the right hand pane". Where is that?
    Also, would i change the settings back for dvd files not too big? Cheers.
    [​IMG]

4. attar

attar Senior member

Click on the 'Compression Settings' tab on the right pane, then change 'Automatic' to 'Custom'.

5. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Thank You, a strange thing, i did as you said in your post "3" and later changed all including "edit preferences" back to DVD5 to see if it worked without any "too big" message and it worked, no message. So, i may have reset something. Thanks for your help. Cheers[​IMG]

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Using custom setting allows you to get more data on the dvd5 without using compression & without overburn,my setting is i think 4480-4485,you should also use the trim front & end frames to cut down on file size,it normally trims 300-400mb off

7. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Thank You. Where would i do the "trim front and end frames"?

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

dvd shrink tuts,to get to frame cutting quickly first link then scroll to bottom & clik on link to page 2

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_copy_dvd_movie_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_copy_dvd_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

menushrink to remove animation on dvd's,use with caution it works on most however on newer movies i've found it can play tricks on cyberlink power dvd & other media players on the computer,can't say what a edited dvd is like on a stand alone dvd player as i don't use them
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/shrink_dvd_menus_with_menushrink.cfm

edit:always check tut section first