1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD skipping - Shrink ? - DVD-RW ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mkm, Mar 29, 2004.

1. mkm

mkm Member

I ripped Alison Krauss Live to my HD. I used the latest version of DVD Shrink. 100 %, re-authored, Start-Finish, cut into two DVD's.

I burned to Memorex DVD-RW. Played DVD in DVD Rom drive and got some skipping. Replayed files on computer HD with PowerDVD and had a lot less skipping, but a little bit.

I am wondering if Deep analysis would help if I don't compress? Especially on concert DVD's.

Also, are DVD-RW's not as good as DVD-R's?

Mark

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mark,

RW's are for practice primarly because they don't play on most standalone players -

Memorex as an example, has posted figures as high as 50% coasters, not what I would call an impressive record -

1. Cheap media skips, freezes, fuzzes, pixelats, refuses to be recognized, partially jams and of course, our good old standby, either doesn’t burn or doesn’t play at all :-(

Cheap media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A top grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 to down around a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap discs and good copies from 3 Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then are too expensive ?

That should take care of your problems -

Pete

3. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

yeah, what pete said. It's probably the media (brand)of your DVD's. I had the same problem when I used Memorex DVD's. I found out that Sony and Panasonic work great for me. Give them a try.