1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd skipping

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by pspears, Nov 27, 2004.

1. pspears

pspears Member

using dvd shrink some of my back ups skip when watching them ( skip or hang ). This happens mostly on very large movies, Im only burning the movie with no extras, Im even deleting add. soundtracks and subtitles, is this normal, this never happens when I split the large dvd into 2 disc. thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Skipping and freezing is the classic sign of low quality media although burning too fast and/or and out of date firmware can contribute as well.

Make/model burner? Firmware version?

Brand/type media? Burn speed?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  3. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Long time ago, I was using DvdXCopy Platinum with no names 2x DVD-R. Everthing was fine.

Then I bought some 4x E3works medias and started to burn at 4x because DvdXCopy burns at the maximum speed it can.

On the 1st burn I started to get problems.
    Feezing and skipping.
    So I ordered some Unbranded Ritek (Ridata) G04 DVD-R.
    They seem to be good media, after reading of lot on here.

Bang, same problem.
    Hummm

I have decided to try DVD Shrink and burn at 2x with Nero.

Well guess what, all my problems went away, either on the E3works ot on the Ridata G04.

I have an LG and a Toshiba player at home and they both play my 2x burns.

How come other can burn at 4x or 8x without problems ?
    I do not know.

Humor me, burn one at 2x and keep me posted.
    I bet you, burning at 2x might/will help you.

P.S: In shrink, my target size is still set 4465mb I did not decrease it to 4300mb like suggested yet.

4. pspears

pspears Member

Thanks for your reply Nephilim:
    my burner is a sony dvd+&-RW DRU 500A
    firmware was 1.02f but I upgraded it today to the latest 2.01a
    media is verbatim DVD+R 1x-4x the burn speed I dont really know. I use nero 6.0 and just upgraded that last night to 6.6 the nero is set to max. I think this drive is not designed to nurn over 2x but the new firmware is supposed to allow it to burn at 4x. Maybe thats what the problem was. I was thinking it was the compression on larger files. Thank you so much for your reply :)

5. pspears

pspears Member

cougar_ii Thanks for your reply,
    I'll try anything at this point. Please see response to Nephilim. also, some times I forget to turn off my nortons antivirus and nortons firewall. I am very new to dvd burning. feel totally lost but thank both of you for for help. Im going to explore nero now to try and find where I can decrese burn speed down. Thanks again. :)

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Heavy compression can certainly cause playback problems. I use to have a DRU-500A and it burnt fine at 4X with quality but if you continue to have playback issues I'd suggest knocking it down to 2X and see if that doesn't help :)

Would you be so kind as to run one of your Verbatim discs through DVD Identifier and post the manufactuer for us? Here's a link to it:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/336091.html