1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Skips only at end of movie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by WelshBoa, Dec 18, 2003.

1. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

I have been burning for a short time now and it has only just been brought to my attention that I'm doing it slightly wrong, although most DVD's have worked!

I've been using DVD Shrink Beta version then using Nero Recode to again shrink it (which I didnt know it was doing) and then burning the copy.

I'm now still using Shrink, but using Nero Video to make the disc. Am I right in saying that after Shrink I double click on Video_TS file select all files that have been shrunk and then burn.

I did this for first time and the film worked all the way through until virtually the last scene where it skipped and ended.

My question is did it skip as the file was too big for the disc? It was Pirates of the Caribbean? On Recode I could clearly see how much space was taken.

What is the maximum amount of MB a disc can take as I read somewhere here that 4.7gb doesnt neccessarily mean that will fit on disc.

I have had a problem with it skipping at last minute before not using this method so am slightly dubious as to whether its the +RW media I am using

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

The 4.7G which dvd manufacturers claim on their discs is actually only 4'700'000'000 bits which actually (if you count 1024bits=1 kbit) is only 4.38Gb. So you can fit only 4.38Gb on your disc. If your files were larger, the skipping is due to that. If your files nevertheless were smaller than that, the skipping might be due to bad quality media, (cheap discs), which has happened to me a couple of times.
    Set the output folder size in DVD Shrink to about 4.35Gb and use "good" media, and you should be fine.

3. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Is the output folder size under DVD Shrink Preferences Target DVD Size Custom?

I've typed in 4,350MB is that right?

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

yes, you should be ok with that setup. You can slightly increase the output folder size later if it seems that everything goes ok, but remember that usually the problems (especially on cheap media) is on the outer edge of the disc, so the more data you put on the disc the likelier you will get skipping and freezing at the end of the movie. For some crappy discs I've used only 3,8Gb or so.... but I've come to the conclusion that cheap media doesn't pay!!

5. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Skipping and jumping around is usually caused by using cheapo media. Try a higher quality media like Maxell, Ritek, or TDK. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]There is no problem so big, that a brick placed against the proper skull cannot fix =)[/small]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Go for luck 4's if you ask me. Mine is set at 4444MB at the min, though i have had higher. The reason your disc is skipping near the end is almost certainly going to be down to the media you use. I wont be surpirsed if you mention Princo, or in fact any other media that is not Ritek Grade A.

8. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Naa dont use Princo to be honest. I have been using Grade A Mirror Platinum unbranded -R's which have worked fine.

The one's I have been having trouble with are Packard Bell +RW's.

Can you put a link to a site you buy your media from with the Ritek Dye?? I have a Pioneer A06 so need some that are compatible with that

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Are you in the UK? If so www.blankdiscshop.co.uk has traxdata Ritek's which are the best. They are on offer at the minute i tink.

10. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Thanks for the info. They are selling those discs at £10.99 for 10. Is that a good price then??

Are the DATASAFE Ritek discs with the G 04 dye good as they get a good review and the price seems reasonable?

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Its an excellent price. I have recently (a week ago) bought 100 discs from them. There is no other disc that i love as much as it. I do like the clone disc from www.dvd-and-media.com, but my DVD labeller pen struggles to write on them for some reason.

12. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

its a shame they only do them in packs of ten though....