1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Skips

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Davas03, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Davas03

Davas03 Member

The last few DVD's I have been buring have been skipping when I play them in a DVD player. First I use shrink to make an ISO file, then burn with DVD Decrypter. Am I doing something wrong? Ive done this before with out a problem, but the last few DVD's have been skipping. Its driving me insane! Please, if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it! Thanks a lot!

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

What is the media you are using?
    And what speed do you burn at?
    And are they original movies you have copyied.

3. falsep

falsep Member

I am a first time dvd burner and I have created three dvds all start off perfect then somewhere from about half way through they start randomly skipping getting worse as the movie progresses. I have used dvd x copy twice and copy to dvd to burn the other (with dvd decrypter). I am next going to try the dvd shrink and nero combination but wanted to find some ansers before i mess up another one. The movie I am trying to copy is bourne supremacy My computer is 700 mhz 256 ram kinda slow but the dvd burner requirements are 600 mhz and 128 ram at 8x write speend (burns in + and - formats). (when burning the task manager shows process usage at around 80% and ram usage at about 210 mg) Trying to burn at 4x on 4x max memorex dvd-r. The dvds all play prefectly on my pc drive that burned them but on two different dvd players and a ps2 they skip half way though and get progressivly worse as the movie goes on(skipping starts at different points dependent on which dvd player) I have also tried dvd-r movies that were created by someone else on those dvd players and they work fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks for the help

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

I think if you used better quality media, such as TDK, Maxell, Sony, Verbatim, TY and there are a few others then your problems with skipping should be reduced. Burn at a max of 4x with all programs disabled so that your CPU has maximum resources.
    Set target size in DVD Shrink to 4300 to stop burning close to the edge.
    See how that goes.

5. Davas03

Davas03 Member

I have been using Memorex DVD+r's. I am copying from original DVD's. When I played the DVD in my DVD player (Magnavox DVD player) it did not skip, but when I played it in my livingroom (Zeneth DVD player) it skipped. Could it be the player?
    And how do I know what speed I am buring at? (Sorry im a bit new to this)
    Thanks a lot!

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello davas03 and falsep, Memorex on not highly recommended here at AD. They had their best days with vhs. They use mostly poor quality manufacturers like c-magnetics corp.If you know which ones are the good ones,"prodisc",then avoid the brand name memorex.

Seeing as this is the dvd shrink forum,davas03,you can set the burn speed in the "backup options"tab just after the step where you reauthor,or not.

4x is preferred,but with crappy media,you might have to go even lower.

Keeping the target size at 4300 mbs also helps,I leave it there and I use pretty good to great quality media.

Every stand alone player is different when it comes to playing dvd+r or dvd-r, The problems of low quality media really magnefies in the stand alones. That is why the magnevox played ok and the zenith didn't. That zenith doesn't like something about that particular burn on that disc.

High quality media and sensible burnspeed usually fixes these problems.

7. Davas03

Davas03 Member

Thanks for all your help!!