1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD soundtrack to CD hints?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bill_g71, Mar 6, 2004.

1. bill_g71

bill_g71 Member

Please excuse me if I'm repeating a subject, but I just spent a couple hours recording the Eagles Hell Freezes Over soundtrack in analog to a .wav file and then burning it to CD, and I'm not satisfied with the results.

I have an Audigy 2ZS card, so thought I would get pretty clean audio from it, but when I did an A/B with the DVD, the $130 DVD player blew away my $550 CD player, even after looping the DVD audio through my TV to the receiver and the CD running in direct mode, bypassing tone controls.

I recorded the analog audio with Roxio Sound Editor as a .wav file, added track markers, and burned to CD with Creator Classic. Results were , shall we say, less than satisfactory.. I get better sound from the VHS tape through the TV to the receiver.

I guess my question is did I screw up by using an analog recorder to create the .wav file? Can I expect to get better results ripping to a .vob file and using that to create the .wav file, or am I losing the sound quality in the .wav file itself? Or is there some way to rip from the DVD to a .cda file?

Any sugestions would be very much appreciated.

TIA,

Bill

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Better do it digitally.

In case the audio is AC3 or DTS use DVDDecrypter to extract the audio files. You can do AC3 -> stereo 44.1kHz/16bit .wav conversion with foobar2000 (special installer). For DTS use the method described here:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68300#post424069
    LPCM should work similar with BeSweet.
    In case it's 24bit resolution LPCM get "LPCM 24bit processor" from here: http://www.rarewares.org/others.html
    and follow the instructions in the readme file.

Two important things:
    1. If there are more than 1 audio stream to choose from, quality-wise LPCM is best, DTS is second, AC3 is 3rd/worst.

2. Audio streams on DVD-Video are sampled at 48kHz, Audio CD is sampled at 44.1kHz. You have to resample using a high quality algorithm. The best free choice for this task is SSRC - quality wise the same as e.g. Adobe Audition/Cool Edit Pro highest quality resampling.
    It's integrated in foobar2000 as well as in BeSweet. Just don't forget to use/enable it, otherwise the burning software you use will do the resampling (most likely in a crappy way.)

3. bill_g71

bill_g71 Member

Muchos gracias, Tigre!

Looks like I've got a little work to do, but the results should be worth it. After this one, there's U2's Rattle'n'Hum, and I'll start looking for others.

Wish they would release Pink Floyd's "Pulse" on DVD...

Thanx again,

Bill

4. bill_g71

bill_g71 Member

GOT IT!!!

After some trial-and-error, wound up with a shareware program called DVD Audio Extractor. I had ripped the PCM stream from the DVD with DVD Decriptor, and DVDAE took it from the .vob files and gave me LPCM in a 16-bit, 44.1K .wav file.

Used Roxio's Sound Editor to insert track markers and edit, and Creator Classic to burn....

Must admit I was a little anxious when I went back to the media room and set up the A/B again, but now the CD sound is miles ahead of the DVD and it's great!

Haven't done a comparison with some of my better CD's yet, but without spending a lot of time critically listening, I'd have to give this combo a big thumbs up.

Thanx again, Tigre, for getting me going!

Bill

5. rich1234

rich1234 Member

Hi there,

I wonder if any of you guys here can help me, it looks like you pretty much doing what I'm trying do but with more success.

I have been trying to rip audio tracks from a music dvd, I used gordian knot, dvd decrypter, plus dvd2avi to rip the sound, and I was successful, I was running XP no service pack, I had to reinstall my machine and this time did service packs as it was needed, now when i rip I can't get any sound, i believe I have ticked all the same boxes, as you can imagine this is totally frustrating, has anyone got any suggestions or put me on the right road again, details of my process below.

open dvd decrypter, select input tracks, select stream processing, enable stream processing, i select 0xe0 video,0x81 audio ac3,0x8a audio dts,0xa0 audio upcm start the rip.

Once it's finnished i GET vts_01 sTREAM INFORMATION,vts_01_0.ifo,VTS_01_1.VOB

oPEN DVD2AVI, FILE, OPEN, SELECT VTS_01_1.VOB and presss F5 to preview, I get the video but sound, previously I got the sound aswell.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I have also upgraded the gordian knot rip&system packs to the latest.

Thanks in advance

Rich1234

6. tigre

Why don't you use demux in DVD Decrypter? This way you'd get the audio streams as separate files that can be used directly with audio software...

7. rich1234

rich1234 Member

Hi there,

I have tried this as well, but no luck either.

8. rajugsw

rajugsw Member

I can't really add to much to this topic. I burned the Hell Freezes Over PCM stereo audio tracks to CD-R a while back. I too noticed that the burned CD sounded slightly warmer than the DVD's DTS Surround & PCM audio tracks.

If there's a way to do it digitally, that may help. I use an SB Audigy 2 for analog & digital CD-R burning.

Good Luck

9. rich1234

rich1234 Member

Hi there Tigre,

Going back to your comment about demux, this now rings a bell, I think I used to get a seperate ac3 file once I had ripped the vob, but this is not appearing now, would there be any reason why?

10. tigre

One reason might be that there is no AC3 stream on the DVD you're trying to extract. In such a case you should get LPCM, DTS (or MP2 ?) files instead of AC3.

If you've configured DVD Decrypter correctly, I don't see a reason why an existing and selected AC3 stream wouldn't be extracted to a separate file. I don't have a DVD here right now, so I can't give detailed instructions, but I'm sure you'll find it in some guides out there, e.g. at afterdawn, doom9 or everwicked.