1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Storage - Cheap Ideas

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DogBomb, Mar 4, 2005.

1. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Here's the spindle cakeboxes you can buy to store your burned DVDs. 3 of the 25-spindle cases are only 99 cents. :) Shipping might kill these deals but if you order anything, just add it. I don't know if Newegg or Supermedia has these too, but I'll check. http://www.meritline.com/99-cents-store.html

2. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

just buy some dvd case you cheap ass :)

they are like 100 for £7 or something! :)

also when you get quite a few disks you really want an easy way to find them... i built a dvd cabinet on my wall... holds about 550 dvds and mine is almost full ! :eek:

also with the cheapness of ink these days printing labels is a doddle..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I use binder pages that hold eight discs. 50 pages cost me $15 and will accomodate 400 discs yet fit within two big binders :)

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

6. h-k

h-k Guest

7. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I've been using paper sleeves ($5 USD for 100) for years now, and storing them in shoe boxes. Actually I've graduated to those bulk copier paper boxes - they hold 3 rows. And I haven't seen any scratchs from the paper sleeves...

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I personally use the slim DVD cases (100 for $10) for all my movies just because it's easier to find and protect my movies (they will hold 2 DVDs per case). But for my data DVDs for videos and music - mostly backups of FLAC/SHNs, mp3s, music videos - I use these space saving spindles. I threw out my DVD cases long ago. They are only slightly less bulky than a VHS tape. Five hundred DVD cases would fill up a wall whereas it would fit in one shelf in my stereo cabinet in the slim cases. Cheap ass, huh. I'll remember that babelfish. ;)

9. dbennion

dbennion Member

I use the two-sided translucent vinyl sleeves (better on the disks than paper sleeves). For movies I spread across two blanks, they fit into the one sleeve. I'm up to about 900 movies, so I need a cabinet or two ... maybe like something from here

http://www.spinkeeper.com/cdcabinets.html

10. kinza

kinza Regular member

i got the binder that holds 240 discs for only $10

11. dbennion

dbennion Member

I tried the binders and sheets. I had two problems with them, although the price was excellent.

I have two kids, and they were always removing the disks and carrying them around unprotected. Now they carry them around in sleeves. Me too.

Also I had problems keeping the disks in alphabetical order ... always having to insert sheets that ended up 1/4 filled .. moving whole sections of DVDs .. you know the drill. Sleeves are trivially sorted.

12. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

I use the colored slim cases. One color per movie gender. They protect the dvd very well and take up very little space. I print a front lable insert for the front of the case which includes movie title, cast , director and a short summory of the movie.

13. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I usually just throw mine around anywhere they may land. Some in the desk drawer. Some on top of my desk. Some on the floor in the living room. Some on top of the TV. Some on the floor of the car. Some on the kitchen counter.

No storage. It's the perfect filing system. They like to go commando!

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i use double dvd cases, really cheap from ebuyer. i just scribble neatly on a piece of paper and insert thru the see-thru section. i live on a boat and space is priority, but i also want to find films quickly, so stopped using those 240-capacity cases.

Rich

15. Mike5150

Mike5150 Member

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'd chuck that cabinet in my woodburner, but not at that cost :)

17. dbennion

dbennion Member

OK I just solved my storage problems. I have >900 DVDs, and growing. I use two-sided vinyl sleeves ... better on the disks than paper, ideal package for DVDs spread across two blanks, easily sorted alphabetically, very thin profile, and at $0.07 or so per, cheap. The problem is where to store them when you get tired of looking at the shoeboxes in your bookshelves.

A standard 8.5x11 letter-sized file drawer holds two rows of those sleeves side-by-side ... they just need a divider (piece of cardboard or whatever) running down the middle of the drawer back-to-front to separate the rows.

I figure one drawer will hold approximately 250 sleeves, 125 per row, and that is loosely packed so searching through the sleeves, and updating them alphabetically, is easy. A four-drawer cabinet (or two two-drawer cabinets) will hold ~1000 sleeves, loosely packed. If you jammed them together you could probably get 1200+ into four drawers. Locally (Toronto) I can easily find four wooden drawers for considerably < $100.

That VERY expensive cabinet in an earlier posting gave me the idea ... that cabinet is just an extra-wide three-row version of this cheaper way to go ... It has 3x3 rows instead of the 4x2 route I'm going to go. Vinyl sleeves have a much thinner profile than DVD/CD cases. Those DVD cases would be difficult to search if packed tightly ...

18. sadsac

sadsac Guest

900 dvd's???

It would take 2-1/2 years to watch all those if you only watched one per day!

I've got about 20.

19. dbennion

dbennion Member

Yes it grew like topsy. I've been collecting for about two years. I started off wanting my very top favorites, thinking maybe one or two hundred would do it. Then I started watering down my criteria, from ***** to ****, from great to merely good.

Then, because using Netflix and time-shifting was way cheaper than renting them at the local Blockbuster, I started doing that as a proxy for viewing those expensive routine rentals, so the **** has dropped to *** and there is some junk beginning to collect there ... :)

I actually measured my current 'shoeboxes' and I was fairly close, but conservative, with my earlier guesstimate of a four-drawer unit holding 1000 movies (some doubles, mostly singles). It despends of course on the depth of the filing cabinet, which range from 16" to 22+", but with the smallest 16" size, 1000 will fit 'loosely', and maybe 1400+ will fit 'snugly'. With deeper units, those numbers will increase proportionately.

20. kinza

kinza Regular member