1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Storage cont.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by CKY_2084, Mar 26, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I know there was a topic somewhat like this. Basically I have a lot of DVDs and some are backups. On my backups I use a R200 printer to make the cases and discs look professional and therefor I use standard cases with all my movies and I dont like the idea of CD/DVD Jewel Cases or carrying cases, because I want to show off my collection better. I read in the other thread that some people built a rack for their DVDs or some sort of storage system. I was wondering what it looks like, about how much can it hold, hows it work and what did you build it out of. I am in the process of building one myself and already have a few ideas but want more ideas before I get a findal design for it. Any pics would be helpful, thanks!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey CKY, I'll try to post a picture of my "home-made" video rack.
    You can make it as tall as you want,just not too wide depending on how thick of dowel rods you use.
    28" wide/9.5" deep/ this one is 6'tall-using 3 dowel rods per row.
    Rip off 6 slats 2.5 inches wide.Plane them smooth.Use one or 2 of those slats cut down to 5 inches,making sure they are all the same.The other 4 slats will be for the frame. Use half inch dowels,and you want to use a half inch drill bit half way through the center of the 5" in lengh slats.

You can easily make a jig to set up drilling the center 5" slats. If you can make just 1 side of rack,you can use it as a jig-just flip it over to do which side you want. You'll need:
    Clamps,drill press,table saw, jointer-comes in handy,small biscuits like the ryobi small bisquit joiner-if you have one,Belt sander.

When the sides are made,sand them down good so you can see no joints,and then run them through table router if you want a round look on the outside.
    This one was for vhs videos,but I use regular single and double dvd cases-make is smaller for jewel case size.
    I made a slew of these a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    Post back in case pic is too big.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  3. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

WOW! Thats cool, I bet you spent a lot of time on that. Im not that skilled with wood working, but I will be getting some help from some friends, so I will see what I can do. I never thought about using Dowl Rods and I think I will go that route. That is exactly what Im trying to achieve though. Cause I was gonna buy one but they were to small for my collection and then the ones on the Internet were to expensive. I think I might try and do something similar to yours. It looks great.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I made probably about 30 of them a few years ago when I use to do a lot of crafts,but half this height.
    I did improve the design on this one like: round outside and inside-except the back/small bisquits for a stronger frame,and not drilling all the way through to eliminate plugs and button caps. This one is made of pine,but I have done oak. Not much money in it,just quite a bit of time. That's why a jig needs built to bore out the center brackets-to align the holes, and one good side that is set up exactly to your dimensions-whichever size cases you use.
    The small bisquits also help when trying to glue all those peices together without falling apart..

The fun part was putting it together after it dryed.

This one was perfect for vhs-about 175,but the regular dvd cases are a smidgen too big.

There was an older post last year and that member built his into his walls,pretty neat.

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

saugmon
    Nice rack LOL... I never thought id say that to a guy. LOL
    I see you have a fishing rod on your wall,I knew there was something about you I liked. LOL

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yep, getting close to that time of year again to go out and drown some worms while waiting for a fish to bite.
    My boat has a heck of a time when there is more than 6 inches of ice on the lake.

You think my rack is big,you ought to see my wife's- holy moly!

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I heard that,my boat has been in storage for much too long,my walleye supply is gone.

As for your wifes rack.. ummmmm Ill take your word for it, unless your gonna post some pics. LOL
    That maybe hazardous to your health though. LOL

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Post some more pics? Are you nuts? Look at my picture above, That's a pretty damn big pic. You should have seen my practice pic in the test thread, that sucker was twice the size,plus it had jenna jamison's butt showing-it did look sweeeeet! I had to edit that one out of there, LOL

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well yes I was kidding LOL
    Jenna j pic,that would be nice, but I think the mods would fail to see the humor in that. he he

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Dear CKY_2084 a rack of the type previous mentioned albeit in a slightlty smaller size is sometimes available at big lots stores in the furniture department . I have purchased 4 and have assembled 2 of them to date. according to the box each rack holds 300cd's or 240 dvds . They assemble quickly and easily with an electric screwdriver/ cordless drill and although you can assemble it by yourself a helper is nice & makes it go faster. If you have someone skilled in woodworking it may pay to go with the homemade rack so less racks hold more of your collection . But if you are looking for a simple & inexpensive solution the racks I mentioned may be hard to beat ! Just for enquiring minds I have no connection with or to Big LOts Stores other than as an occasional customer . And I recommend people looking there as that's where I found mine & they are cheap my racks cost $15.00 ea. plus tax! they may be available elsewhere though . Well CKY_2084 my friend which ever route you choose good luck & happy Burning ! peace & happy easter y'all!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  11. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Can you attach them together to make the rack taller?

12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

CKY_2084 - In reply to your question about attaching one rack on top of another. I suppose it could be done but I would think you might run into stability issues due to the wieght of 480 dvd's . The racks I mentioned in the previous post measure 37in. high 34in. wide and 9in. deep . I would suggest that possibly going the side by side route assuming there is enough room. If you absolutley must stack one atop another I would recommend that in addition to securing one rack atop the other and you find a stable way to do it . I would also attach the combined rack to a nearby wall for extra stability & safety . After all we don't want our prize collection of movies and or other media to fall over on small children pets or even just the floor . another possible option is after you install whatever rack system you choose is to use the slim style dvd cases - not jewel boxes but slim dvd cases which atleast in theory should allow you to maximize you collection in the minimum space - I personally use the Verbatim slim dvd cases and find the excellent and you can find the at samsclub for about $6.42 per box of 25 similar cases are also available online at any media retailer at various prices but the verbatims are the only ones I have direct hands on experience with. I hope I was of some help my friend CKY_2084 . Good luck happy burning and peace !

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005