1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Storage Question

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Vladibus, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Vladibus

Vladibus Member

Hello

I store all my DVD Backups in a Case Logic binder that holds about 300 DVD's. I have it filled up and it is quite heavy now. I was wondering is it better to store the Binder on its side like a book? Or is it better to lay it flat? I have read somewehere that storing DVD's vertically can cause the dye to run and ruin the dvd. Any truth to that? But if I store the binder flat I fear the weight will ruin the DVD's. Thank for reading!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ummmmmm, no. Do you have a link to the place that said that?

Your DVDs will be fine as long as they're kept in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight. I store all my backups in a binder similar to yours :)

3. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Will using the binder to store DVD's scratch them? I think it's similar to what you guys are talking about...in the plastic sleeves? Or is it better to store in DVD cases?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I use the binders that have plastic sleeves with a soft backing to them :)

5. cfodder

cfodder Member

Anything which causes scratches BAD i.e bad quality cases folders etc. and not necessarily cheap ones either. Storing on side should not make a difference unless archiving for long term storage. I expect you move them regularly so any physical deformation will be negligable. A bigger danger storing is excessive heat, cold, damp, etc. etc.

6. Vladibus

Vladibus Member

The only CD bindres I will use are made by Case Logic. They do not scratch the DVD's at all. Storing in a case may be better but who wants a 1,000 cases to sort through?

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Actually, they recommend you store DVDs vertically because laying them sideways/flat on an uneven surface like a binder could cause warping. I keep my DVD movies in the slim cases (you can buy 100 for $10-$12 on sale) which will hold 2 DVDs each. It protects the surface from scratches better than a binder. And for data backups, I just keep them on a spindle (which means they're laid flat but the surface is even).

8. psych86

psych86 Member

Is there any reason not to store backup copies of my home movie dvd's on a spindle?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

psych86, having to go thru them to find disc you want say in the middle or bottom or anywhere in between

10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I hope I didn't confuse you. Keeping them on the spindle regardless of whether they are DVD movies or data is just as good as the slim cases. It's just preference because DVD movies are usually 2 discs for me and I like to keep them together (in one slim case) and it also makes it easier to find. Data is data and it's just for storage, which means I can put it on a spindle and sock it away for years or for that big crash. Just make sure the bottom of the spindle is flat (use the plastic fake disc, not the rings). There might be some rotating of discs in the spindle, but with the ring on top, it's negligible.

BTW, if your DVDs have running dye, storage is the least of your worries. ;)