1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to AVI Aspect Ratio/Cropping Problems

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by kwes504, Jan 19, 2007.

1. kwes504

kwes504 Member

I'm new to converting media formats. However, I have sucessfully been able to backup a number of my DVD's using AutoGK. The program has been great but has left my frustrated with the aspect ratio on an older movie.

The main issue was the picture would either stretch or lose people's heads. I tried a number of different settings and could only determine the picture would look best if I can insert "black bars" on the top and bottom so the picture won't stretch to meet a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio. (It's at 1.5 on the original DVD)

Is there any way I can insert black bars with AutoGK?

I have tried other programs--DVD2AV, WinAVI, X Video Converter--but none seem to be able to handle this particular movie. WinAVI will actually make the movie 4 seconds longer so the audio can't match up (though it will add the "black bars"). I have looked at AviSynth guides and think it may be the best route, but am not sure how to first convert vob files to a media that VirtualDub can handle.

Sorry for the lengthy description, just wanted to try and communicate it in a way I would understand... if my understanding is off on any of this, feel free to help correct me! Thanks!

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

dvd shrink and anydvd or clone dvd, riptitome theese programs will do the trick fro you

3. kwes504

kwes504 Member

Well I have not used anydvd in the past, but do have a copy handy. What does this program do exactly? And at which step would I be able to resize the video?

I also think their is a different framerate for the first .vob which is causing sync problems. But I am fairly new to this so I am kind of thumbing around.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

AnyDVD only helps with ripping. As for the AR/resizing, sounds like a playback issue to me. There should be no reason to include black bars and any cropping would be overscan. Does it playback ok on your PC?

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

is this video file you are having trouble with a downloaded file off the net?, you might try running the file through g-spot and see what that has to say also if it is out of sync you might try using virtldub, to get it in sync

6. kwes504

kwes504 Member

Sorry was out of town for the football games...

Yes the vobs playback fine. I am just having trouble playing after converting to avi.

Specifically, autogk will convert the files and join them but the picture loses peoples head in many shots. I assumed black bars would be the best... err easiest solution for xvid encoding to solve this issue.

7. kwes504

kwes504 Member

Nope. Its a dvd of mine I am trying to backup. I ripped using dvd decrypter, ran it through vobblanker, and then dvd shrink (removing menus, subtitles, other audio tracks).

The sync problem (after converting to avi) was more then audio off track. It ran longer then the video after conversion.