1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to DVD-r (AC3 5.1 & DTS)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ynot, Jul 5, 2002.

1. ynot

ynot Member

Can anyone help?

After a long time trying to find out how I can now rip, convert, compress, edit and burn my backup films....BUT I only get the PCM audio or at best the AC3 2.0 audio NOT AC3 5.1 and DTS. I am on the net trying to get the latest versions of my software to see if that helps, but if anyone has invented the wheel first could you let me know.

Thanks

Smartripper to DVD2AVI to TMPGEnc to MYDVD to Gear Pro. Thats the way I do it!!

2. brendanw

brendanw Member

Hi "YNOT".

I had a similar problem creating/authoring DVD+RW so that they contain AC3 (Dolby-Digital) Audio / DTS. So far I can only help with your query surrounding (no pun intended!) AC3. Unfortunately this may leave you having to purchase additional sofware. I am not sure if "Gear Pro" can do AC3 audio tracks. I use "SpruceUp DVD Authoring V1.1" that works brilliantly. It supports the following audio and video tracks (Taken from the help file!)

MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio (.m1a, .mpa, or .abs) with bit-rates of 64kbps to 384kbps; 192 kbps and 224 kbps are typical.

Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio (.ac3 - mono up to six channels) with bit-rates of 64kbps to 448kbps; 192 kbps 224kbps and 448 kbps (for 5.1) are typical.

WAV audio (.wav - Windows uncompressed PCM audio; the most common Windows audio), 16 bit 48Khz only.

PCM audio (.pcm - “raw” pulse code modulation audio; similar to WAV, but without “header” and other file information), 16 bit 48Khz only.

AIFF audio (.aif - Audio Interchange File uncompressed PCM audio; the most common Macintosh audio), 16 bit 48Khz only.

• .m1v
    • .m2v
    • .mpv
    • .vbs
    • .mpg
    • .mpe
    • .mpeg
    • .mp2
    • .m2p
    • .avi (MPEG only)

I hope this info helps.

Best regards

3. joshua

joshua Member

Not sure how DVD+RW works, I am a DVD-R man lol
    But if you use DVDDecrypter you get all sound files, DTS and 5.1 included
    Then use IFOEdit to strip any of the tracks you don`t want or any subtitles you don`t want.
    I don`t use any other software, other than DVDDecrpyter, IFOEdit, and then Nero
    It takes no time at all to do the conversions etc and just depends on processor power etc for the time
    Most of my movies I keep the DTS track and the 6 channel sound and dump the rest
    Worked so far ?
    :)

4. ynot

ynot Member

Thanks gents for all the info. There seems to be a lot of software that does the same things!!! Is there any software that can do it all?

Also Joshua, how does your system work with large files. I know you take all the unwanted stuff out, but what happens when the main vob files are still to big to fit. It seems that I can get the DTS and/or AC3 to the compression stage, but bugger me if I can get them further!!

Thanks again!

5. Swifty

Swifty Member

After Smartripper, try using ifoedit to determine which VOB files you need / want. If these are big and need to be re-encoded to downsize them, use Rempeg - I've been pleased by its quality. (Make sure you put an .m2v extension on the file). This is now an mpeg2 file without sound. You can then use ifoedit to put the new mpeg2 into new VOB files using the old sound tracks (so you get whatever soundtracks were on the disk in the first place). You need to take a look at:
    http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-basic.htm
    to get better instructions on how to use ifoedit to do the above. (I burnt one frisbee by not clicking on "Get VTS sectors" last.) ifoedit is also good for finding out what's what on a disk.

6. ynot

ynot Member

Cheers Swifty. Is there any other program as good as ifoedit? I run XP and ifoedit is not meant to work to well with XP. I don't want to change OS as XP runs my whole network??

7. Swifty

Swifty Member

I've been using it under XP without problems, and didn't know that there would be problems! My guess is that you don't need to try anything else.

8. ynot

ynot Member

Thanks again. It great to have a site that can answer the simple and the not so simple DVD-r questions!