1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to DVD-R .... direct copy?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Goant79, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Goant79

Goant79 Guest

Hey.. I've just bought a Pioneer 107 8x DVD burner and DVDXCOPY Platinum..

My question is..

When I have a DVD/CD-R combo AND a DVD-burner.. is there any way I can do a direct copy instead of making a tempoary image on the harddrive (I expect that's what the "Reading DVD"-step is doing as my harddrive is working it's ass off)

I really think it's waste of time if there was a way to copy directly from the combo-drive to the dvd-burner..

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe it's possible with the software you have.

"On the fly" copying is a really neat-o idea in theory, but in practice it's a major invitation for errors and failed burns.

XCopy isn't just simply reading the disc, it's also removing the encryption and compressing. Even doing a straight disc to disc copy of a pure data disc is dicey at best.

Making a temp file on the hard drive is a tried and true method for quality burns.

3. Goant79

Goant79 Guest

Fair.. found out a total backup of Not Another Teen Movie (7,3GB) with compression set to 66% did the whole disc in less than 45minutes (copy and burn) so I'm very pleased..

I guess the rather big size of the original dvd is because it's dvd9.. right?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You are correct and happy burning :)

5. Braxas

Braxas Member

Well, some people use the method of installing AnyDVD (Takes care of Macrovision/CSS Protection/Region codes on the fly) and then use either CloneDVD2 or Nero Recode 2 and then put the original DVD they are backing up in the reader and then put the DVD-R/+R into the writer and they can kind of go on the fly.

Basically it just reduces a few extra mouse clicks and keeps you away from the computer a bit longer but I trust DVD Decrypter and then load the newly decrypted files into Nero Recode 2 for the encoding/burning portion. It's an extra program and an extra step but it is working out very well.