1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd to dvd+r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by toofer, Dec 1, 2003.

1. toofer

toofer Member

I`ve been trying to copy dvds 5s to dvd+r using decryter, file mode, and my HP 200i writer and record now as the write program. this seems to be a complete mystery as to the outcome. It will work perfect for one copy and then not the next. I am certain I`m missing something. When it doesn`t work I get a write error saying that "one or more of the files did not compare to the orginal." this is beyond me. I am using comp usa DVD+r media. I have had no luck with memorex, tdk,verbatim. I have successfully burnt 12 dvds but turned twice that number into coasters. Can anyone help me with this problem.

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

what settings are you using for recordnow?
    Check out the settings from oriphus
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm

I have made no coasters using those settings.

It could be the media-- I have not heard good things about the comp usa media.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi toofer, Most people on here start out using DVDshrink as the decrypter-ripper. It also compresses the dvd5 or dvd9 to fit the blank media. Its a free download and works great. It rips in the proper file mode for dvd playback. The guides are on this site too. You will need burning software Like nero 5.5 or 6 to burn back to blank. A free download similar to Nero is BURNATONCE. Make sure you read the guides for both. Shrink also lets you edit out items you don't want to copy. Try it out. I had the same burner as you and had problems with recordnow that came with it. There is also a firmware update for the drive which will change it to 200j. Jerry

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  4. toofer

toofer Member

don`t have record now max. just record now. don`t have all the settings in options you have, but did read in the guides & forum that DVD Shrink is for files over 4.438GB. Did I read that right. I have both guides (shrink & decryter) printed out and have followed them to the letter. Still I`m making coasters more than I`m making movies. I just don`t think the problem is in either one of those programs. And i don`t think its the media as this happens with all types of media as i posted in my last thread. The firmware I am using is 151. I go to HP often to check for further upates. Is 151 the firmware you are talking about Jerry? I think I`ll go with a new burner program the one you mentioned Burnatonce is one I`ve not heard of but I`ll give it a try. My OS wouldn`t effect this process would it? I`m running 98se but when I loaded my hddr I didn`t configure for fat32 so i don`t think there should be a problem. anyhow it has been making VIDEO_TS folders at more than 4GB. Tell me if my thinking is deranged on any of this I`m about out of ideas.

5. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

it could be your hardware specs. What are they? You are running 98se. That means your computer is what 4 years old with a pentium III max. How much ram, processor speed, hard drive space (available).

For example, I am running xp, 2.4ghz, 1 gb rdram, 280 gb hdd (about 120 available).

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi toofer, I think you have the latest firmware
    1.51. When I installed it, my drive specs changed to 200j. But I think your ok on that. I tried using the recordnow that came with the drive and it always gave me problems. Not recordnow max. I even had trouble with it doing disc to disc copy. So I tried Roxio Platinum 6. Didn't like it as much as the older Easy cd software when Adaptec owned it. Now I only use Nero when using DVDshrink. It seems to work the best for me. I got a 25 pack of Khypermedia free with the Hp 200i. Ended up with 15 coasters thinking it was my fault. It was junk media. Haven't had a problem since I switched to Ritek. Burnatonce is very similar to Nero express and makes the 2 files you need for proper burn and playback. And its free too. We'll keep trying to help you till we get it right. Jerry

7. toofer

toofer Member

the puter is 1800 XP with 1gb of DDR266 PC2100 DDR Memory w/80GB HDDR that is only 10% full. also ATI All in Wonder8500 128 grapics & creative audigy 2 platium sound card. I don`t think the puter is the problem. i just downloaded the demo version of nero-rom6 wasn`t exactly as the guide was but close. when i pointed and dragged the VIDEO_TS folder from my browser i get this message telling me" you have added DVD Video content to compliant type that will not result in a DVD-Video compliant disc. To create disc playable in standalone DVD players please use the dvd Video compliant type" WHAT the heck is that about.??? this is a cartoon Batman DVD I`ve ripped for my grandson. could it be a svcd or a vcd being sold as a DVD? anyhow nero is taking media types that record now spit right back at me so I`m feeling good about changing the burning program.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

toofer, Are you using the Express part of Nero?

9. Stealth99

Stealth99 Member

I have a similar problem. I also use shrink dvd and nero6 to burn. I encoded Rocky with Shrink DVD and followed directions from :http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm to use Shrink DVD 3.0 Beta. I then used directions from the same web site to burn to DVD using NERO. This method did not work, so I tried using another method. http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/burning_dvd_with_nero.cfm

Again, without success. I have an XBOX it will not play in as well as a AIWA Stand Alone DVD-Player. It says unrecognizable disk each time. Any suggestions?

By the way, I am using MEMOREX DVD+RW with a LG 4040N DVD+RW Drive. Any help would be appreciated...tired of not having luck!!!_

Oh yeah, one other note, I just put the DVD in my PC that I wrote it with, and it plays...just not on the stand alones.

Could this be DVD-R works and DVD+R has more problems?

10. toofer

toofer Member

Jerry, After reading several more threads about nero I determed that I should be using express, so I switched to express this morning and finally burnt this Batman Video with no problems. I would like to try the software you mentioned earier "BURNATONCE" if you have had good success with it. If not tell me and I`ll either upgrade my Record Now to Record Now Max or get Nero Express 6. Your help has been greatly appreciated. I`m thrilled to have this nagging problem behind me. Thanks

11. toofer

toofer Member

Stelth99,, have you gone to your writers website and looked to see if your writer is compatable with your player. most sites have a list of stand-alone players that are compatable with their writers.

12. dajackle

dajackle Guest

hey toofer hey guys,
    im using dvdshrink to compress my dvd films, im then using nero 5 to burn my films, ive had 100% success so far and most dvd rw discs work, if you want some help you can private message me, the movies that ive ripped then burnt play on ps2 and any stand alone dvd player.

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi toofer, I use Nero express too, I didn't know you had it. I only mentioned BURNATONCE as a free burn software to try. Its like Nero express in that it makes the 2 AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders for you. You are on the right track now. Have some fun. Jerry

14. toofer

toofer Member

dajackel, aren`t rw disc media expensive to be doing this with. from what I`ve seen they are 3 to 4 $ more than r media. why are you useing rw media?? you do know it doesn`t keep as long as r media , it`s really none of my business, your thread just caught me funny I guess.

15. dajackle

dajackle Guest

hi toofer,
    in the uk ive sourced dvd rw's for under £1.00
    and they give fantastic quality, memorex is the make so their not expensive at all not sure how much they are where you live but £1.00 is quite cheap and they never fail and the audio quality is top.