1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem DVD to MKV

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by bethefin, Mar 19, 2015.

1. bethefin

bethefin Member

I have a Sony 4K tv with built in media player. It is fussy about what formats it plays and I've been trying to find a reliable program that copies my own DVD collection to MKV.

I've tried a few without success. I simply want to copy the same source audio and video, in the case of opera DVD I need the subtitles.

The TV media player doesn't play DVD files and iso files.

Thank you

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

DVD will have to be ripped first to remove copy protection,try dvdshrink for that or if that fails use dvdfab 8 (free to rip always the rest of it is trial ware) you'll need to set output to dvd 9 (check settings of either programs to determine your output size otherwise compression will occur if you don't set output to higher than 8gb dl)

ok mkv can't store menu so if that's what you want forget it.
    options are rip the whole dvd without the menu & convert that to mkv with vidcoder or handbrake (maybe able to get portable versions inc 64 bit.exe or portable )

or
    rip all titles from each in one go & turn those to mkv,again settings will have to be set to include passthrough for audio = 1:1,& subs will need to be set to be included & whether you want them as default (auto on when played),burned in (can't be turned off) or just included but check boxes unticked to allow you to turn them on if needed

mkvtoolnix & mkv cleaver you may find handy (maybe able to get portable versions)

3. attar

attar Senior member

4. samiapple

samiapple Newbie

There many apps on the internet. Just search for DVD Ripper on google. You will be recommended many top apps.

5. tictoksol

tictoksol Member

yes, any common DVD ripper can rip DVD to MKV