1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to MPEG 2 without Recode

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by aaborkar, Dec 7, 2007.

1. aaborkar

aaborkar Member

I am want to make my own "On-Demand" service for my home pcs and media centers. HDD space is not issue. I have a bundle of dvds that I have ripped to my HDD. Each rip is one VOB file and only contains the movie. I want to strip the VOB file off all unnecessary headers so that it works like an ordinary MPEG2 file and runs on all media players. Also I dont want to recode to lose any quality. Any suggestions on how I might go by this? Changing the extension didnt work too well.

2. philraz

philraz Regular member

normaly just changing the ext to *.mpg would do the trick

in what way ?

3. aaborkar

aaborkar Member

Only powerdvd was able to play the file. WMP, nero showtime and others could not parse properly. Once the file starts playing, the timer only shows that there are 3:00 to play. I cannot jump to a particular time with the other players.

4. philraz

philraz Regular member

it sounds more like codec problem or a bad rip what software did you use to rip ?

I rip all my dvd's to single vobs and then convert them to xvids but I have never had a problem playing the vob's I use dvd decrypter

5. aaborkar

aaborkar Member

I am probably going to have to disagree with you on that one. In any vob supporting player, the video works fine. Now, I have not tried this on any hardware based players like Dlink or Linksys. I am not having much luck on computers so far. Playing it on Winamp or WMP.

6. aaborkar

aaborkar Member

I have used dvd decrypter, dvdfab and smart ripper. I am pretty sure there is no issue in the rip.

7. philraz

philraz Regular member

dont know just done a test rip on a dvd iso I had on my pc used dvd decrypter and the vob played correctly on mpc, showtime, vlc player and virtualdub mod wmp had issues (never use that piece of rubbish anyway)

after renaming the the file to *.mpg all players including wmp played it correctly I can only suspect that its an issue with your mpeg 2 codec

8. wining

wining Member

9. philraz

philraz Regular member

What does that have to do with his computer not correctly playing vob and mpeg 2 files ?

10. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member