1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to mpeg/avi

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by sosiw, Apr 29, 2004.

1. sosiw

sosiw Member

Hi.im super new to this stuff. i have a dvd-recorder+vhs so i can tape directly from vhs to dvd. i would like to convert my dvd files so i can edit them in pinnacle 8 or premiere (still new to premiere too!). is it better to convert from .vob to avi over .vob to mpeg? i can extract the .vob files but i cant figure out how to do the file conversion using nero. please help!!

2. daba

daba Guest

Hi sosiw,

DVD2AVI can help you to convert a VOB file to AVI:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd2avi.cfm

But can't you just open a VOB file with Premiere ? If no, you need to convert it to MPEG. Actually a VOB file is some kind of MPEG. Just demux it with IfoEdit or VobEdit (free) and then merge the audio file and the video file into a single MPEG file with FileMerger (free).

Enjoy.

Daba

3. sosiw

sosiw Member

thanks daba. will try this out.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you convert them to AVI first it will Just ruin the Quality...You should use a Program that can edit Vob files so you can Put them back on DVD without haveing to encode them to AVI and then after editing Haveing to encode them again Back to Vob/Mpeg2, If you do this the quality will Just be awefull..An editor that will do Frame accurate editing and will add effects and Transitions without re-encoding the Files is "Womble Mpeg video Wizard 2003"....

5. sosiw

sosiw Member

wow! this seems to get more and more interesting. will "womble mpeg video wizard" allow me to split clips? and also to add additional avi clips that i already have? thanks a lot y'all for sharing your knowledge. i appreciate it.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Mpeg Video Wizard will if you set it properly should let you Mix AVI files with your Vob/Mpeg2 Files and only encode the AVI files to Mpeg2 and not re-encode the Vob/Mpeg2 files accept there might be a problem if your Vob files have Dolby AC3 audio because I don"t think it can encode to that format....I guess you would have to give it a Try...

7. sosiw

sosiw Member

hey
    thanks again. will try this out and see what happens.