1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to PSP ripping woes

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by txbravo20, Mar 16, 2007.

1. txbravo20

txbravo20 Member

I just got a PSP and am dying to get a movie onto it. I have downloaded and tested the following apps:

Freeware: XviD4PSP w/ DVD Decrypter (Could not get either to work)
    PSP Video Express - PSP would not recognize MP4 file (Yes it was named correctly and placed in the correct folder)

Demos: Xilisoft, imToo, DVD Feb Platinum, Clone DVD Mobile.

Xilisoft - PSP would not recognize MP4 file (Yes it was named correctly)
    imToo - failed
    Clone DVD - failed
    DVD Fab Platinum (DVD to Mobile) PSP actually saw the first video MP4 - bad sound, tryed again using H.264 default within program - PSP did not recognize movie file.

Using PSP movie manager to transfer movies. And tryed manual as well.

I have tryed several guides, help files, forums suggestions... you name it...

I am starting to believe being able to watch a DVD on the PSP is a pure myth. I could really use some help..

PSP FW 2.81

To date the best program has been DVD Fab (at least I saw a video w/no sound!) You would figure the default settings would produce a video that you could see and hear. I am not one who enjoys tweaking settings to get something to work as stated in the sales jargon. I would prefer to click on a few buttons and wholla! A working video on my PSP for me to enjoy... Is this possible????????

2. ebega

ebega Regular member

What file structure are you using exactly?? I've used most all of the programs you mentioned and have not had a problem with any of them (Xvid4PSP is my personal favorite).

edit: I transfer all my video files with PSPContent Manager 1.5 OE. This program is for the OE firmware released by Dark Alex, but will still work for you. Just open the program, click on the "MP4" tab and drag and drop you video file into the PSPContent Manager page. This will create the correct file structure for you. BTW, I suggest looking into flashing your PSP with the 3.10 OE firmware from Dark Alex, it will allow you to play full screen (480x272) MP4 files directly from the XMB.

edit #2: I upped PSPContent Manager for you on Rapidshare:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/21495603/PSPMAN15OE.zip.html

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  3. txbravo20

txbravo20 Member

Ebega, many thanks for the share.. I would have to say whatever file structure came on the PSP. (I did not create any folders). However, I appear to have the default folders? ie; MP_Root, 100MNV01, 101ANV01
    Big time n00b here.... Last night I decided to give it another try after doing some research on this site and several others.

DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 with the following settings:
    IFO Mode, no File splitting, Stream Processing (Audio - AC3 /2ch)

Pulled the movie in fine.

PSP Video 9 with the following (recommended) settings:
    Mode AVC>CBR, Bitrate 384kbps, Resolution 368x208, Framerate: 29.97, Passes: 1, Keyframe interval 250, ASpect Ratio 16.9 Audio: Bitrate 64kbps, 24000 @ 300%

Once converted sucessfully I used PSP Video Manager to move the movie into the MP_Root\101ANV01\

PSP did not like it..

So, I decided to give it a second try (this time to MP4) So I decided to use the DVD Fab Platinum program (30 day demo). I used their default psp.mpeg4.acc.firmware2.8+ format. ( I have also let it run making no changes to their default settings) I lowered the bitrate to 384, 368x208, 24 bitrate audio 300% volume, single pass, no split. Once completed I decided to manually move the completed file to the PSP but this time of course to the 100MNV01 folder.

PSP did not like it

The furthest I ever got was with DVD Fab and the PSP kinda liked it.. I saw video but the audio sounded like a muffeled camel in heat..

4. sillycybe

sillycybe Regular member

Nero Recode will do it for ya...

[​IMG]

5. Darney53

Darney53 Member

Used DVD shrink copied to disc. Used media manager for PSP, got video audio; but audio did not sync up with video. Use same method with Nero recode, got video/audio but still not sync for the two. Now I am using Sony Media manager for PSP (not free) but video and audio sync up perfectly. Just updated firmware to virsion 3.30. The following types of files can now be played in the "VIDEO" folder.
    – MPEG-4/H.264 AVC Main Profile (AVC CABAC) video files of the following sizes: 720 X 480, 352 X 480, or 480 X 272. All is well.