1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd TO vcr recording

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rtrg, Dec 5, 2007.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

My question is related to one asked on page 806 of this forum. At least I think it is.. I will try to keep this short if I can. I have a dvd player,vcr,tv combination in that order. A non COPY PROTECTED dvd from any source of any content, will record just as easily as it woul if two vcrs were being used for coying one tape to another. HOWEVER, CP, discs WILL NOT record on the vcr. Unwatchable noise bars appear in record mode and sometimes in stand by mode. Is there a "black box", circuit, project, kit, any thing I can use to REMOVE the CP from the disc so the vcr can record it? I am useing my computer media player, monitor output to a VGA IN/ANALOG OUT converter, to my vcrs line in for recording. Sounds too complicated? It is, and not very practical. There must be an easy way to make my vcr and dvd player to work together as commen sense would dictate. I am getting a headache just reading some of the issues other members are haveing, let alone understand what most of it means. SIMPLE SOLUTIONS PLEASE!

2. attar

attar Senior member

This combo unit restricts your options.
    The VCR's automatic gain control is being affected by the Macrovision protection on the disk.
    Unless the disk files are ripped, decrypted and burned to a new disk, it's not going to work.

You have non-PC options, but that would involve another dvd player and a 'video optimizer'..

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

ATTAR--- Thank you for your reply. You seem to grasp my dilema. You mentioned a non computer solution, but did not complete your thought, at least not on screen. Please email me with complete details as to your proposed solutions. Another member mentioned products from QUALITEK INDUSTRIS that removes CP from tape and/or dvds prior to recording. I found their web site but they do not provide contact to themselves, for obvious reasons concidering the nature of the product. However I cannot find anyone who actually used it, so I do not know how well it works. If you have any leads as to sources of older VCRS and DVD players built BEFORE the age of CP that would be accepted as well. Thank you in advance.

4. attar

attar Senior member

It's simple enough.
    A cheap DVD player's video 'out' is fed in and out of the 'Video Optimizer' the cleaned up video goes into the VCR (if it has a composite input jack, typically a 'yellow' RCA jack).
    The two audio leads go straight from DVD out to VCR in.

This 'Optex Optimizer' has been around since tapes started getting 'Macrovision' protection - you probably know someone who has one in a drawer.
    Mine is fifteen years old, runs on a 9 volt battery and works like a charm.New ones use AC adapters.

This place in Florida sells them - but I have no idea how good the units are.
    I don't live in the USA, but Macrovision is analog protection - nothing to do with 'Digital Rights' and AFAIK the units are legal to produce and own.

http://www.stardevelopment.com/faq.htm

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i sort of know whats up here but never gone this route myself, you say you got cables from pc to vcr, have you tried pc to tv as in watching film then record with vcr from tv NOT recording from pc.

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

ROTARY--- That would work IF the tv had line in/out. Mine does not. The other alternitive is to use an RF modulater>VCR RF IN>RF OUT>TV in that order. Als an RF A/B switcher would also be neede to toggle between RF and CABLE. Been there, done that. Quality suffers. A CP REMOVER would be a better choice if such a product even exits. I know of a couple of web sites that sells them, but I am hopeing to find an AFTERDAWNER who has used one and can tell me the results. $20 for such a device that acctualy works as I want it to seems too easy and cheap. But if it is true than that would be a good $20 to spend. Feel free to pass this along to anyone else. Do you have a 15 year old dvd player for sale? That would work also, if I could find one.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  8. Berryone

Berryone Regular member