1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to VHS recording

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by philm, Dec 19, 2002.

1. philm

philm Guest

I live in the UK and have a problem recording Region 2 PAL DVDs to a PAL/NTSC video recorder. With some DVDs the results are excellent, but with others, the picture flickers between a bright (normal) tint and a dull tint. Sometimes the picture is lost altogether and replaced with a blue (no signal) background. The machines are an AIWA HV-FX710k VHS and a TRUVOX DVD-600 connected via a scart supplied with the DVD player.

Thanks

Philip

2. riksworld

riksworld Regular member

are you trying to record your dvd movie from the dvd player strait to vhs.

3. philm

philm Guest

Yes, I am recording "straight" from the DVD player to the the VCR using a SCART to SCART connector supplied with the DVD player. I seem to recall a posting saying DVDs were encrypted to prevent VCR recordings. The VCR "monitors2 all DVDs correctly when the VCR output is sent to my 20 year old TV!

4. riksworld

riksworld Regular member

you wont be able to record dvd to vhs anymore, new technolgy such as new dvd and vhs players have a curcuit built into them, this is call called macrovision.

when you play the dvd movie, the movie switches on the macrovision signal built into the hardware as scrabmles the signal to the vcr, so you cannot copy the signal, unless you have a very old vhs recorder of course, these dont have these functions

you can ethier rip the dvd to your hard drive then play the movie through your tv out card then record the signal or purchase a signal stablizer, this will correct the signal to the vhs and you will be able to record the signal

Rik.

5. philm

philm Guest

Thanks Rik

Philip

6. riksworld

riksworld Regular member

anytime

Rik.

7. crazas1

crazas1 Member

There is another way to do it. The problem I used to have is that my daugther TV have no AV in, just plain RF cable, so I needed to plug DVD player to VCR and this one to the TV. Got the same video problems. I solve it using a small piece of hardware called "video clarifier", I don't remember manufacturer now but I'm going to check it tomorrow and post it for you. Hope this can help.