1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by noto45, Jan 18, 2015.

1. noto45

noto45 Member

I have quite a few DVD's that I want to store electronically. I want to save them to my computer then have my xbox be able to access that hard drive and play them. What is the best way to accomplish this?

2. richietea

richietea Regular member

I use Serviio myself.Streams great from my HDD's in my pc to the console.You can build your library via the software and stream a lot of file formats.Even pesky .mkv . As long as you have your sharing setup on the pc for your home network it should do what your asking.

http://serviio.org/

3. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

First of all, you need to crack the copy protection on these DVDs (considering that they are originals of course). Best or easiest way to do that would be AnyDVD. Then you need to rip them to your PC, which means you need loads of time. There are quite a few tutorials out there on how to rip DVDs.

4. noto45

noto45 Member

I am using DVD shrink to make copies of them and yes I own them. Once DVD Shrink does its thing I cant get the xbox to play those files. I want to donate the DVD's so I dont have clutter but I dont want to lose any quality either.

5. richietea

richietea Regular member

What format are you trying to save your dvd's in? Mpeg2 streaming or .vob via Serviio usually does not have the fast forward/rewind function.

6. noto45

noto45 Member

DVD Shrink creates .vob files

7. richietea

richietea Regular member

8. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

First are your DVDs home-made ones or commercials? If the former, Handbrake can help with the conversion. (for me, I prefer H.264 mp4). If the later, you'll need to break DVD protection by using MakeMKV or DVDAid.

9. xbkrypt0n

xbkrypt0n Active member

Doesn't really matter if they're home made or commercial, audio is probably in the wrong format anyway for the Xbox 360. As for h.264, you actually need to use the MP4 container (MKV doesn't even work), video can be max High@4.1 and only supported audio codec is AAC@2.0 (Stereo).
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/audio-video-playback

E: Windows Media Player might actually be able to stream those mp4 files to the Xbox if they're added to the media library(?)

If it's the old Xbox1, you can just mux the DVDs to MKV with mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge). This will create 1:1 copies of your video files and you will not lose any quality in audio or video.
    https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html

No idea about the Xbox One console, because I just stream everything on my smart phone or tablet these days :)

10. richietea

richietea Regular member

Serviio will stream .mkv with both xbox one and the 360.But like you said the audio has to be downgraded if it cannot stream but it does that on the fly without stutter.I'm not fussy with the audio as long as there is decent clarity,so for me its a great way to run annoying .mkv with mid/low audio format.The server works with android as well if that's your preference.The majority of series i tend to watch are in h.264/720 and dont have issues.Movies with high audio formats like 5.1 etc sometimes need to be converted.I use Bigasoft for quick audio downgrade.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  11. xbkrypt0n

xbkrypt0n Active member

Android doesn't require a DLNA server. It can stream media as-is eg. directly from SMB shares (local network). As for Xboxes, Serviio seems like the way to go for OP. If it stutters, then the PC/laptop isn't fast enough for transcoding, meaning OP would have to go the way of handbrake to get stutter-free playback going.

12. richietea

richietea Regular member

He just needs to create h.264 or similar from his .vob files with something like Bigasoft total video converter and then either use media center or serviio for streaming.Job done.