1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to xvid - use IFO, ISO or file mode?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by ghart999, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ghart999

ghart999 Member

Hi all. I am in the process of ripping my entire DVD collection and then encoding with xvid to stream to my modded xbox.

I have read so much that I am getting information overload.

All I want is to rip the main movie/main 5.1 audio in english/no subtitles/no menus.

Based on this, what ripping mode should I be using? I started out using file mode and selecting main movie only. Sometimes I would end up with audio in foreign languages and/or subtitles as well.

So from there I thought I would try IFO mode. Enable stream processing and uncheck all subtitles and audio tracks other than 5.1 in English. Again I have found that sometimes I still end up with subtitles and/or foreign languages.

I just assume that ISO mode would be useless if my ultimate goal is to only have a single avi file encoded in xvid.

Any chance someone could lead me in the right direction as to how to best use DVD Decrypter to rip my movies for eventual encoding into xvid.

Lastly - should I be using anydvd or ripit4me as well? I have yet to rip any disk that needed something other than DVD Decrypter. But maybe that is part of why some rips come out weird???

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Gregg

2. corin78

corin78 Guest

Hi,

That's the way I do it: rip DVD to HDD using DVDDecrypter in File mode, then convert to .avi DivX using 1Click DVD Ripper.

Some DVDs I needed to rip in IFO mode (like the infamous Matrix one), but 99% of the time it works just fine with File mode.

Multi angles may be a problem, you can select to consider only one angle either in Decrypter or you can specify this in 1Click Ripper as well. My experience is that ripping mode makes no difference, since in 1Click Ripper you can select which audio track to rip, which subtitle, etc. So basically I would say ripping mode makes no difference when it comes to audio tracks/subtitles - rip all, choose the one you want later in the 2nd step.

As to your last question, Decrypter takes care of removing all protections when transferring the DVD to HDD. However, it cannot handle bad sector protections and spins the DVD for an eternity then fails, so if you have a DVD that has bad sector protection it is *essential* to use AnyDVD as well in the 1st step.

The only problem I had so far with this method is that for some NTSC DVDs (like Wagner's Ring that has come out recently) the conversion stops a few minutes prior to the end (like out of a 2:40 opera the .avi file stops at 2:38 or so, and this drives me nuts 'cause I don't know why). If anyone has suggestions on this they are welcome.

Hope this will be of help to you.

Coriolan

3. ghart999

ghart999 Member

Thanks a lot. That helps a lot.

I will stick to file mode unless I have some problems and then try IFO as a backup.