1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD[u]+[/u]RW Drive Problems - Need help as i'm stumped!!!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Bunford, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Bunford

Bunford Member

For some reason I cannot get a DVD writer drive to work with my Packard Bell iMedia 5093 machine.

I have tried two different LiteOn DH20A3P models, a Pioneer DVR-112D and a Samsung drive. They were all DVD+RW drives and were bought brand new from special computer parts shops. The computer originally came with a CDRW drive and a DVD-ROM drive. My intention is to upgrade these two to DVD-RW drives. I now have the Pioneer set to Master on the Secondary channel and the Samsung set to Slave.

They all read CDs and DVDs perfectly and wrote CDs perfectly, however, they all refused to write any type of DVD. The best result I have had is through the Pioneer drive using Alcohol 120% where it wrote at 0.1x, meaning it took a day or two to burn one disc.

The fixes I have tried are:

* every possible slave, master and cable select possibility;
    * disconnecting one drive and using both drives connected;
    * using replacement 40 wire and 80 wire IDE cables;
    * removing the Upper and Lower Filters in regedit;
    * updated firmware and drivers for the DVD drives;
    * tried using Nero 7 Essentials, Nero 7 Premium, DeepBurner Pro, DVD Decrypter, MagicISO, ImgBurn, Alcohol 120%, Packard Bell Image Writer amongst others;
    * ensured DMA is set to ON in Windows and in BIOS;
    * even formatted the hard drive and reinstalled a clean version of Windows XP and updated via the Windows Update homepage.

Also, when i open up "My Computer" the drives are recognised as DVD-RW drives, However, as soon as i put in a DVD-R or a DVD+R, it recognises them as being in there but the drive changes from a DVD-RW drive to a CD drive. This happens on all the 4 drives I tried.

I am at a loss and am stumped with this. My system details are:

Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz
    1024MB RAM Memory (DDR266 PC2100)
    80GB Maxtor Hard Drive
    30GB Maxtor Hard Drive
    Radeon 9550 256MB Graphics Card
    250W PSU

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You have given a lot of info here which is good, but one thing I didnt see mentioned was what brand and type of blank DVD's have you tried?

3. Bunford

Bunford Member

Sorry, forgot to add that bit!

I have tried TDK + and -R, JVC +R, Tesco -R, Asda -R, Sony -R and Verbatim +R.