1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Unplayable in DVD player, and is region free

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by manwich, May 15, 2004.

1. manwich

manwich Member

So i have a dvd of my friends wedding that is in some other country format.(Probably PAL) It wasn't playable in a US DVD player. (Said could not play due to area restrictions or something) So i used DVD Shrink not to shrink it, but to reburn it so that it was region free, and it still says the same message (not playable due to area restrictions) Any suggestions, i don't understand why it would do this? Thanks for any comments.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It sounds like your problem is format, not region. Many DVD players sold in the US (I'd say most until fairly recently) aren't able to play anything but NTSC video. Since they generally aren't designed to play DVDs from different regions, there generally wasn't any incentive to add this. There's also the problem of TVs. Most NTSC TVs aren't capable of displaying a PAL signal properly, and if yours doesn't it won't make any difference whether your DVD player will play it or not.

Region is a different issue entirely, and since you said it was a video of a wedding it's unlikely, bordering on impossible, that it has any region protection on it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night
    Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm
    Good Guides To Get You Started: [/small]

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  3. vans12

vans12 Regular member

ok first how old is the player and is the dvd a mini dvd. let me know and i should be able to tell you your problem.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The problem with video from the U.S. is even the TV's have trouble with PAL! lol I love PAL btw :p lol

Anyways, what you gotta do here is change the format. You can do this by completely re-encoding (or if i find out what that program dRD was talking about that can change the framerate without encoding then it'd be a lot easier) lol

Also another probhlem is that your DVD player just might not be able to play so called Region 0 DVD's! Check for a multiregion hack at http://www.dvdrhelp.com

5. manwich

manwich Member

the player is fairly new, (bought christmas 2003) and the disc is a regular 4.7gb dvd+R disc, not mini dvd. the disc works in my modded xbox under the region free dvd player, so i think the TV is the problem, but im not sure. thanks for any more help

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  6. Dela

This wouldnt be the first DVD+R you tried would it? (id doubt it lol) but i dont like +R, full of compatibility issues, could be your problem!

7. manwich

manwich Member

nope i'm afraid of made about 4 coasters so far trying different things.

8. Dela

It sucks, maybe its just that it cant play PAL? like the tv and dvd player will play 23.97fps and 29.97fps but PAL is 25fps!