1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Upscaling

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by dakillz, May 31, 2007.

1. dakillz

dakillz Guest

$ony have just released a new firmware update for the PS3 allowing it to upscale standard DVD's. Is there any reason the XBOX 360 can't do this, it has DVD drive and HD output.... any reason why M$ shouldn't do this cos I think it would be kinda good if it could

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

xbox 360 most likely wont ever do this, if they do then they just shot themselves in the foot seeing as that was the main reason for the hd dvd player.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Well, i have an upscaling DVD player at home already that hooks up vis HDMI to my DLP TV. And to tell you the honest truth you will not really tell much of a different if you are using a retail DVD, or a back up made from a retail DVD. The only difference that i can really notice is if you are playing files that have been compressed, like DivX files. Now on those they are noticeably better then on my Xbox or regular DVD player. So even though it sounds great it is really not such a big deal. upscaling can only do so much so it will never be REAL HD

4. Memnock

Memnock Active member

How big is your TV steimy. I can tell the difference with my modded Xbox upscaling regular DVDs to 1080i versus my 360 playing them at 480p on my 47". It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeably sharper upscale. Still, upscaled DVDs don't compare to true HD.

5. dakillz

dakillz Guest

i know it won't be as good as true HD cos the extra resolution info isn't there to start with, but I just think considering the hardware is capable of it, it would be nice to get the most out of the hardware I paid good money for. I know M$ wan't to push it's HD-DVD player, but seeing as its something the PS3 has introduced without having to spend extra $$$$ then M$ might wanna be competitive

6. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Also note no DVD player sold at least in the US can upscale retail DVDs with Macrovision on them out of the box with factory settings with component. There's something about the rules governing DVDs that will not allow it. Sorry, I don't know the specifics. However, many upscaling DVD players have hidden menus that will enable upscaling over component. That's why Xbox 360 only upscales over VGA or HMDI with an Elite. PS3 won't upscale them over component either, but I think it'll upscale non Macrovision DVD over component.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  7. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

The xbox DOES upscale DVD's if you use the VGA cable on any xbox. I have the HD-DVD add-on and a VGA cable and all my dvd's are 1080i ... No need for an upgrade, it has done this since before the PS3 update.

8. dakillz

dakillz Guest

i have the vga cable, will this upscale the discs? or do they have to be played through the hd-dvd player? because it would be possible to do it from the xbox's main dvd drive as long as its firmware told the upscaling chip in the xbox (I think it's called ANNA) to do so.

9. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

I believe it does, although I didn't get my VGA cable until after I got the HDDVD player ... but what the xBox does is play the DVD's at the resolution you are using on the xBox itself - so if you have it in the appropriate resolution for a 1080i display, it'll display it in that resolution ... the main thing being that you have the VGA cable. I don't think it matters if you have the add-on or not.

10. dakillz

dakillz Guest

excellent time to dig out those dvd's