1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Video files complience test failed?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by A-Razz, Sep 8, 2003.

1. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

I have a DVD ripped using smart ripper on my HDD (movie only rip). I tried to burn it to a DVD-RW using Nero 5, I placed all the files in the Video_TS folder but when I tried burning a message came up saying:

'DVD-Video files complience test failed. The resulting DVD-Video might be unplayable.'
    required file 'VIDEO_TS.IFO' is not present
    required file 'VIDEO_TS.BUP' is not present
    required file 'VTS_01_0.BUP' is not present
    DvD video files complience test failed

I cannot rip this disk again using different software like DVD Decrypter or something because the original disc is now damaged and won't play properly. The one on my HDD is an old one that I was planning on converting to Divx before I got my DVD burner. So if there is any way I can backup the one on my HDD please let me know.

Thanks.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

There is probably nothing wrong with the ripped files but you can check that you have them if you have put them all in Video TS folder? However you don't need to put all the files in the Video TS folder first. Just drag each file ripped individually into nero and they will be sorted automatically before burning. Also make sure you don't have 'multisession' checked in Nero. To uncheck this go to DVD-ROM option and uncheck it under multisession. Try burning again. However if you don't have the missing files in video TS folder then you will be unable to backup the movie.

3. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

First off, your VIDEO_TS folder name [bold]MUST[/bold] be in all capital letters.
    DVD Decrypter should have copied all of the appropriate IFO and BUP files to the same folder that it placed the VOB files in when you ripped the DVD. However, if these files are indeed missing (ie, there are only VOB files in the folder), you need to either:

1) Create new IFO and/or BUP files for the VOBS using IFOedit; or
    2) Reauthor the VOB files into a new titleset using TMPGEnc DVD Author

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

A typical [bold]VIDEO_TS [/bold] folder of a DVD is similar to :

VIDEO_TS BUP 16,384
    VIDEO_TS IFO 16,384
    VIDEO_TS VOB 43,008
    VTS_01_0 BUP 77,824
    VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    VTS_01_0 VOB 1,695,744
    VTS_01_1 VOB 1,073,565,696\
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696 \ <-- This is the Main movie
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696 /
    VTS_01_4 VOB 589,365,248 /
    VTS_02_0 BUP 18,432
    VTS_02_0 IFO 18,432
    VTS_02_0 VOB 43,008
    VTS_02_1 VOB 6,014,976

If doing movie-only you need to select the title set IFO which in this case (example above) would be .... VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824

Then run these files through DVD2One in movie-only mode and the BUP & IFO file(s) will be added by DVD2One so as too make it DVD compliant.

5. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

OK thanks. The create new IFO and/or BUP files for the VOBS using IFOedit sounds like the best option for me so I’ll give that a try. Are there any guides on how to use it (IFOedit) anywhere for that purpose?

6. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

I used IFOEdit it created some IFO and BUP files but when I tried burning it the same thing happened as before (DVD-Video files complience test failed).
    So then I tried DVD2One and it did the job but I could only do about 30mins with the trial version.
    Is there any free software that will do the same thing (create the IFO and BUP files needed)?

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Yes. DVD Shrink.

8. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

I tried DVD Shrink and an error message comes up that says ‘failed to open file’. I also tried TMPGEnc DVD Author and that doesn’t load up the files either.

What I need is something like DVD2One (but free) that will create DVD VIDEO Compliant files from the VOB files.

9. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Then you've had it mate. In future DVD Shrink will rip and re-encode the files and they will be DVD video compliant.