1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Video Mosiaics

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by KillerSub, Mar 22, 2003.

1. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

I need to remove mosiacs that well uh... cover up some intresting parts in this movie I recently bought, can anyone tell me how to do this?

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

interesting parts, huh? Is that video from Japan by any chance? :)

Most mosaics I've seen on interesting bits in Japan are destructive mosaics - meaning they can not be undone, and that the original visual data is gone. Though there are still images that have a recoverable-mask, usually the colour of the mosaic region is inverted, or the pixel order is scrambled in a pre-determined way. gmask is a program used to encode/decode these still masks.

I've never heard of a video mosaic-killer that successfully recover the original details. I think that the hw units you can buy in Japan simply blur the mosaic region to make the mosaic less noticeable.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

3. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

Yes, that movie would be from japan! +)
    Gmask huh? Well, I'll check it out.
    The Video is called Bible Black, and I dont think its destructive because you can still see the area beneath it.
    I think its just masked over, I will try both the programs you said, and if they dont work, then I will tell you, please give me your Email address

4. jnihil

It sounds like the mask is a simple invert. If the area in question is actually inverted (ie: flesh-tone looks kinda purple), then you can use Premiere, Vegas, AfterEffects, or some other video editors to invert the colour of that area. AfterEffects should work rather nicely since it has a motion-tracking feature that will track a region of video you want to de-mask, automagically. Never tried it, but it should work.

The forum rules prohibit the exchange of email addresses on the message board (read the rules!). Send me a private message if you wish.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

5. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

My bad on the Email thing!
    No, the flesh tone isnt inverted, its like the pixels are scrambled, what would I use there?

6. jnihil

If the mask consists of a group of pixels rearranged, then I have no idea how it was done. gmask and flmask is a program used on still images which achieve this, but I've never heard of a sw that does this on videos.

Are you sure that the mosaic is not destructive? (meaning that the mosaics consist of solid colours) It seems a bit of an over-kill to have a scrambled mask especially for video.

Anyway, I'll have a look through some Japanese forums and see what I can dig up for you.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

7. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

Hey, I finally got a good idea of what he mosiacs are. They weren't added by someone who ripped the video. They are hard copied onto the DVD I think. Because when you play it in a player, they are always there

8. jnihil

Well, those kinda discs in Japan are almost all mosaic-ed (except for the black-market ones). I think the whole mosaic thing came to effect when the Japanese government was 'cleaning-up' the Japanese image for the Tokyo olympics in the 60's, FYI...

I did not have any luck in finding anything that automates the de-mosaic process. I think gmask is the closest thing (for stills anyway) and perhaps a custom filter with motion-detection via Adobe AfterEffects (this is rather tough, in case you're actually considering it. Also, only the pro version of AE has motion-detection).

Good luck.
    jnihil.

9. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

Yes, I know about the cleanup in the 60's.
    Jees, that bites, I dont want to spend money for a program to get the "impurities" out of the video, but I also dont want to crack a program, even though what I am doing now is against the law anyway. (More trouble wishes to be avoided.)
    So GMask only decodes stills, and AE Effects has a motion detector... hummm, sounds like tis time for me to bring my coding knowledge into the fray, and create a auto-demosaicer, if thats what you would call it, however I havn't coded in a very long time and I might need to take some classes again... plus, I'll have to mail Gmask's creator and get the source code from him, then rip the code off AE. The work will be worth it, but if we can find a program to do it for us, then it can be avoided. If Gmask is a still-frame decoder, then what if you can get a plug in to make it go through the video one frame at a time? I think it would work, the end product would be time consuming but about the same size methinks.
    Boy, this is a long post, so I will address my other problem.
    When I rip the subtitles using SubRip v.4 using OCR recognition, the end result of a line might look like this:

"Al l r igh t my man, t ha ts the wa y to d o, it!"

Whats with the spaces? I need to do one of four things for this problem: Find a program that fixes the end result, rip the subs as a BMP and find out how to interlace the BMP subtitles, use the glitchy OCR and MANUALLY go through the txt file and fix it, or dl a subtitle file (which is impossible for what I am doing).

So at this point, I face the "impurity" problem, and now, the subbtitles. I dont want to give up. Because anime is for the world to share!! Please help me with the subtitle error, then we can finally fix the "impurity" problem.
    P.S. How do you P.M. so I can Email you?

10. jnihil

You probably don't have to start coding for your mosaic thing. If I was to tackle this, I would write up a FilterFactory filter (freeware?) that can de-mosaic a still frame, then import this into AE, since AE can load FilterFactroy filters (well, at least with AE 4.x. Doesn't seem to work with version 5.x). Then you can probably have AE motion-track the region in question whilst applying the filter. It's been a years since I dealt with FilterFactory stuff, but you should be able to find it easily on the net.

Open a new thread for your subtitle stuff. Noone else is probably reading this thread antmore. :)

11. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

Will do sir!
    Will you really write that code?!
    Thanks! That saves me time, because I am so busy with college that I dont have time to do much of anything else.
    The new subtitle thread is now up.

12. jnihil

If you succeed, you'll probably become an underground superstar in Japan. :)

13. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

See, I told you, no one knows how to do subtitles (lazy bastards). so far, not a single person has responded to my subtitle forum, go figure.

14. momomomo

momomomo Member

holy crap, i'd be all over a program that can de-mosaic videos!

I've been hunting around forever to try and find something that will do that...

15. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

Well, we're working on it. Jinhinl is wring the intergration. I in my lonesome self am currently writing little fragments that might be useful (mostly class transitions)

16. jnihil

Writing? No no. It was just a suggestion, dude! My coding skills doesn't get past "hello world". :)

17. KillerSub

KillerSub Member

LOL! I guess I will have to start the old code factory again... when it gets done I am soooooo gonna make it cost money to download