1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd video ripping/editing software recommendations

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by vitaphone, Mar 10, 2005.

1. vitaphone

vitaphone Member

Greetings,
    I just bought a PC for video editing, and I need some recommendations for software.
    What I need, is a dvd ripper that can rip episodes and/or selected scenes from episodic, copy protected dvd's to the highest quality. Also, recomendations on what format to use (i.e. divx, mpeg etc) would be helpful. I was looking at the AOA dvd ripper, but I'm not sure if that rips ALL copyprotected dvds.

For an editor, I need software capable of editing scenes together, cutting out blank space etc. i'd need to burn to dvd at the highest quality (or reasonably high quality) with menu's. I dont need anything exceptionally fancy for this. An imported picture with still shots would be perfect for a menu.

Thank you in advance. Please be patient with me, Im new to this. And I assure you, no illegal bootlegs will be done with this, if thats a concern. I collect old films, and I'm trying to put everyhting in chronological order.
    Thank you!

p.s. I couldnt tell if this belonged in the newbie forum or not. That forum didnt seem to be what I was looking to do.

2. SUKIE

SUKIE Member

for css protected dvd's i use 'dvd decryptor'

as for editing, windows movie maker is fine, and its free is you have winxp.

if your looking for something a bit more comprehensive, then there are a universe full of competing applications that when stripped down to the bone all perform in my opinion.

adobe premier pro is a excellent application, very tidy lots of functionality.

since there is so much opinion on what application is best and i suspect even my recommendations wil get flamed and shotdown, the best thing you can do is discover whats best for you, as no application is ultimatly the best, its realy whats best for you thats most important.

download a few demos do some research, because the only person who is correct, regardless on how many people say that their application they use is the best, is you.

3. vitaphone

vitaphone Member

thanks for the help.

does dvd decryptor rip all protected dvds? and can you rip just one chapter and/or a selected amount of time with it? also, what format does it rip as?

does anyone know if an older version of ulead video studio, or premiere would be acceptable? do the new ones just have more tools? or is there a quality loss?