1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD (vob) editing

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Snorks, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Snorks

Snorks Guest

Hi all, if there is something that I can use for my following dilemma can you please let me in on them.

I film soccer matches put them onto DVD using Pinnacle.

I have 6 games on DVD and I would like to pull small bits from each of them to make a highlights DVD. Put music in the background etc. No menus just footage and music in the background. That kind of thing.

I would like to know if there is any software about that will let me edit my dvd's (they are in the usual vob format) without having to convert them to avi files or any other form of file before I can edit them.

This is a project I need to complete within 2 weeks so I would really appreciate any knowledge/expertise any of you guys might have.

Snorks....

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you could do is Rip your DVD to your Hard drive as a single Vob file useing something like SmartRipper or DVD decryptor and then you could Import the Vob file into pretty Much any editing program that Supports Mpeg2 files as long as the audio Isn"t Dolby AC3....

If you would like to edit the Vob files without Looseing any Quality then a Native Mpeg2 editor like "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" would be Ideal because you can edit and add effects and Transitions and an extra audio track without it re-encodeing the Whole File again which would degrade the quality instead it only re-encodes the areas that have effects or transitions and it renders in Minutes as opposed to hours like other editors....

You could Probably even edit the Vob in Studio 8/9 but it would re-encode the file when it rendered your project and Pinnacles Encoder is Pretty Bad allready so the effect on the quality would be fairly dramatic...

Cheers

3. Snorks

Snorks Guest

Minion, thanks for shedding some light.

I already use decrypter but havent used it before by only creating 1 vob file. I will check my settings.

I will also try Womble.

Nice one.....

4. Snorks

Snorks Guest

Ok, so I have messed around with decrypter but cant work the settings to decrypt the dvd to only one vob file.

I am now trying SmartRipper but seem to have the same problem, ie cant decrypt to only 1 vob file. Any hints on what settings I need to change.

Thanks in advance.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

In DVD Decrypter you need to select Settings from the Tools menu and then go to the tab for the mode you're ripping in (either File or IFO). Look for the Options section and you'll see a dropdown selection for File Splitting. Set it to None and you should get one big file.

6. Snorks

Snorks Guest

Thanks vurb, I am looking at Ripper and it has a similar setting, I will try it.

Thanks.

7. Snorks

Snorks Guest

Nice one. Well that worked, now just d/l trial version of Womble and will try that.

Thanks guys (assuming you are males)

I will post how I get on with the next step.

8. vurbal

You're welcome.

9. Snorks

Snorks Guest

I am now editing in Womble and it runs very smooth which I am pleased about. Scrolling through the vob file there is no drag or hanging.

On reading the help file (took ages) I found that, once complete my file will be exported as mpeg2 format (DVD PAL), I am wondering if this will play on my not so new DVD player (all my backed up and soccer created DVD's do) or will I have to convert this mpeg2 file to VOB file to watch it on my telly.

A sentence or 2 of advise or assistance would prob be enough and thanks again.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Vob and Mpeg2 are the same Format so there is No encodeing needed to go from Mpeg2 to Vob just a reformating of the file from Mpeg2 to Vob when you author it to DVD..There is No quality differance going from Mpeg2 to Vob because they are the same format accept Vob files use a slightly different Time Code and has extra Info in it"s header...

You will Just have to Load the Mpeg2 into your DVD authoring program and it will Format it into Vob, Ifo, and Bup files inside a Video_TS Folder and Burn it to DVD for you....

Cheers

11. Snorks

Snorks Guest

Thanks Minion, I actually got it on to DVD 2 days ago but havent been online to update the thread.

I have found (like you mentioned) that converting VOB - MPEG2 - VOB involves minimal (if any) compression and no degradation of quality.

If anyone is in the same situation as this, you can achieve the end result by the following.

I ripped the original DVD footage (5 different DVD's) into one big VOB file (1 for each DVD) with SmartRipper....I could have used DVD Decrypter for this...(thanks vurbal :) )
    From here I used Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003, to edit the VOB files to take out the small bits I wanted. Once I had done this I "exported" my project (in Womble you need to do this as it doesnt burn direct to DVD) to a MPEG2 file.
    Once I had this MPEG2 file I opened it (complete with titles, music in the background etc) in Pinnacle. In Pinnacle you are able to open MPEGs and AVI files and I then created a DVD (VOB, IFO, BUM file etc).

Job done.

Thanks to Minion for the spot on advice and vurbal for your suggestions. Mission complete with 5 days to spare and boy is it smart (just like a clip off the end of World Sport). I recommend Womble to use as it is easy to learn and manages VOB files excellently. I only used Pinnacle because I own a copy, it is a little expensive but I dont know of any cheaper alternatives.

Till the next time

....Snork10

12. vurbal

No problem. Thanks for posting your successful resolution. It's always helpful to others to let them know what worked for you.

13. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Thanks Snork...and Minion and vurbal. I'm going to be trying to do something similar in the near future, and this has been a big help.