1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+ vs DVD- for PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by opey71, Dec 1, 2002.

1. opey71

opey71 Guest

Can anyone tell me if one is better than the other for PS2 purposes? TIA

2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I think it doesnot matter, because if you have installed the Messiah chip it will read DVD-r/-rw and DVD+r/+rw.
    The thing is that you have to choose if buying a -burner or a +burner.
    DVD-r is cheaper than DVD+r. (the media itselve)

I myself have a HP DVD+r/+rw 200i and copy my games on DVD+r and +rw.
    They run like an angel..

PS2 30004R V5
    Messiah chip installed

3. CTC

CTC Member

I agree with that wizkid, although I heard earlier versions of the ps2 don't handle -r's that well, but I don't have any experience with that, since I have a V7 ps2, but if it was me who had to choose I'd definately go for -r since the media itself is much cheaper

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  4. Sproing

Sproing Guest

I'm using both a Pioneer A04 DVD-R/RW and a Sony DRU500 that does both + and - R/RW. I've tried both DVD + and - R discs and while they both work, I decided to stick with DVD-R discs because they are cheap and work very well. I have been using Ritek 3rd Gen with the dark purple writing surface recently and will probably be using these exclusively because they seem to be working quite well and are very cheap. If you are in the US you can just order them as Ritek and if you are UK you can get them as the new Datasafe manufactured by Ritek.

If you want to spend more, Pioneer and Apple discs also work flawlessly. No point using more expensive RW discs because the R discs are much cheaper. I don't know if earlier versions have problems with -R discs but I have heard that they have more problems with +R discs. I am just about to modify a 1st Gen PS2 so I will report back about that when I'm done!

5. jur

jur Guest

You use the Sony dru500 what dvd writing software do you use? i can't get the dru500 to combine with the primo dvd to burn the .gi files

6. tigress

tigress Guest

If you have V4 or below, you will only be able to read the -R backups. It doesnt matter if you have a Messiah/Magic 3/no-solder, whatever...Wizkid, get ya info right. Im not sure about the -RW backups for V4 and below...many people I have run into have had trouble and recommend sticking to the -R.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2003
  7. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Ye you're right .. Look I should have said:
    DVD+rw works for me with my V5 PS2, instead of it will work with the Messiah chip.

I guess English is not the language I speak and write every day..

8. m_onkey

m_onkey Member

i have a ver 4 ps2 and it plays my +r movies without a modchip

9. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I guess everyone knows that DVD backup movies can be played without a modchip..

This is no news ... :)

To play copied games you will need a modchip.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2003
  10. m_onkey

m_onkey Member

i was replying to tigress's comment "If you have V4 or below, you will only be able to read the -R backups. It doesnt matter if you have a Messiah/Magic 3/no-solder" i didnt know that was for ps2 backups only :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2003
  11. gamefan83

gamefan83 Guest

Hey Sproing what burning software are you using to burn the DVD PS2 games. I too have a Sony DRU-500. I too can not get Primo to recognize my DVD+-RW/R Drive. Please Reply

12. tigress

tigress Guest

m_onkey, I was refering to game backups...

wizkid, I guess not...

smart*sses suck

13. boy141

boy141 Member