1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD w/DVD Shink & Nero 5.5 no work but XCOPY does

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by egeek, Aug 31, 2003.

1. egeek

egeek Guest

Hello,
    I am trying to back up my DVD with a Pioneer A04 (-R) and WIN XP Pro, FAT32. The first one I tried was my original Road to Predition (Region 1). I read many posts about how to does this -- including explicite example of how to set up Nero 5.5 as per http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/nero.htm. After using Shrink, I create a folder called VIDEO_TS and move all the files Shrink create into it (34, including multiple .VOB, IFO, BUP files). I then got Nero running, do the settings above, copy VIDEO_TS to it, and burn it. On 2 of 3 DVD players, it will not play, saying DISK ERROR (all players are REGION 1). On the 3 it is good. I tried to create a disk twice. Both time, same results.

I then downloaded the DVD XCOPY demo and did the same movie with the same computer, disk media etc. It plays on all DVD player. This informs me that I am doing something wrong. I do not want to pay for XCOPY if I dont need to. Besides, my reading shows it to not be so good. But here it worked while the better free options did not.

Can any one tell me what I may be doing wrong? I do want to fit it all on one DVD. I dont care to remove excess media if difficult but I will do that if I need to if the solution is to use DVD decryptor/Nero. Maybe something is not set right in Shrink? I do have the newest Beta 5 version.

Thank you much.

2. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

try using dvd decrypter in file mode, rip the vobs to your hdd and burn using nero iso/udf then make sure your vob files are in a VIDEO_TS folder

3. egeek

egeek Guest

Thank you. But I cannot use Decryptor since the DVD is bigger than 4.6 gig. That is why, after reading, I figure I had to use DVD Shrink for ripping.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Change the settings to ISO level 1 in Nero and see if that helps at all

5. egeek

egeek Guest

OK. I can try ISO Level 1. My previous attempts was it was at ISO Level 2 as per chrismccann.co.uk/nero.htm instructions for burning with Nero. Do you know if this is what DVD XCOPY 'uses' when it back ups?

Can you also tell me if the default setting in DVD Shrink are the best to use? I cannot find a new instruction for the version 3 that is out, only for the older one.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2003
  6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD Shrink v3 beta 5 will not be the same interface as the v3.1 when it comes out. That is why there is no guide on the site you mentioned as yet. In the meantime - use this one:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/re-author-v3beta5.php

Also, im not sure what way DVDXCopy works as i am not one of the fans of its software. :)

7. egeek

egeek Guest

Ok. So what you are saying is there are no setting I need to change in Shrink. Very good. I will make the ISO change and keep fingers crossed. Running out of media.

8. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

what i was saying is that you can just rip the main feature using file mode, not the other crap. and since road to perdition is under 120 minutes it can fit on one disk.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - follow the guide in Shrink i gave you. I recommend not making an ISo but using the VIDEO_TS folder

10. egeek

egeek Guest

Now I am confused, as I thought you said a few reply ago to set Nero for ISO level 1 instead of ISO Level 2 as in step by step instructions by Chris.

As for using DVD Encryptor, what files are required and what are extra? I would like to get rid of garbage stuff and only keep movie. Want to make sure DVD will play and I have English audio (do not care about others). Any rules to follow or guide for this?

Sorry. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2003
  11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The guide on chrismccann.co.uk says to set it to ISO level 2. This works for me and BaaBaa (who created it) and a lot of other members. However, some prefer the ISO level 1 setting.

Is DVD Encrypter a new program out i havent heard of, or are you referring to DVD Decrypter lol ;-) *kidding*

You can choose to rip using it, but why bother when you can do it all using DVD Shrink, rip and compress! Then you can burn in Nero. Herbsman uses the wizard without too much trouble, maybe you could try it if you are getting no luck with the DVD ROM UDF/ISO. A lot of people also use DVD Video setting to burn. I personally use Record Now Deluxe 4.50. You will find that there are many different ways of doing the same thing :)

12. egeek

egeek Guest

Just tried Mode 1. It too did not work on 2 of 3 DVD player (including APEX AD 1500 which is unlocked). As soon as I press play, it stops. Says DISK ERROR on screen. Only DVD player that works is a old Zenith 2300 from many years ago. This one cannot do VCD or SVCD or MP3. Just do not know what else to do. Guess I can not make backup.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Check that your ASPI layers are up-to-date with nero!