1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD was left outside on freezing porch..are they ruined?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by TommyGunn, Jan 20, 2005.

1. TommyGunn

TommyGunn Guest

UPS dropped off my DVD-R's and left them on the porch.Its around 0-2'F here in NY.Are my disks ruined?They are prodisc thermal 8x-R's.Anyone???

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I don't see why that would be a problem but you may want to contact the vendor you bought them from to make sure you can return them if they're bad.

I live in Phoenix so I have to worry about them melting into one giant glob if they get left on my porch :)

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

TOMMYGUNN - my friend as Nephilim has said I don't think you'll have any problems but contact your vendor to be sure! I base this on the fact that they probably sat in a warehouse several times at least before reaching you and the warehouses probably were'nt climate controlled! Also they more then likely sat in several cold UPs trucks and or UPS sorting facilitys additionaly it's just a hunch as I do not work for ups or fedex but I don't think that their cargo planes cargo holds are climate comtrolled either! Anyway My friend my only warning for you in this situation is personally I would let your dvd-r's sit inside @ room tempature for about 24 hours - Only beacuase by then they'll have warmed up sufficetly so that they will not develope condensation when Inserted in your nice warm computer! I don't know what would happen if you tried to burn a wet dvd-r disc but I should think it would'nt be pretty~ At a mininum It might cause errors on your recordings/backups ? I think as Nephilim has said you'd have more of a problem if the disc were left out in the extreme heat ! warpage and all that ! Anyways hope I helped some? Trust Nephilim he (has the knowing) as they said in ThunderDome/mad Max 3 -Or atleast I think they said it LOL - good luck good hunting -and peace

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  4. boong

boong Member

if they were inside a case they should be fine

5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Boong true - but why tempt fate ! moisture AKA dew (Condensation ) is not general good with electronics - Think about it most major recording studios left master tapes they recieve from other studios sit overnight atleast to allow the tape to stabilize tempature wise with the studio for this reason . Why do you think that they don't recommend you putting a cold vhs / beta or whatever format video tape in hot video deck ie; one that has been on for a while. True we are talking about disc based media DVD-R as opposed to any tape based media . But I still think avoiding the risk of condensation in your burner is a good Idea! We are all entitled to our own thoughts opinions and ideas! and these are mine I see yours as well I was just telling the other poster my opinions & thoughts on the subject in attemts to be helpful to them & others possibly ! hopefully I was. Anyway BoonG my friend Peace to you and happy burning-CIAO

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

P.s. This was an extreme tempature situation and not a everyday thing -see above post! Peace everyone -Bye now