1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd with menu, for avi files and picture containing foders

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by kaposznyak, Oct 4, 2013.

1. kaposznyak

kaposznyak Newbie

Hi.

Is it possible to create a dvd disc, that contains 2 avi files and 2 folders with lots of pictures?

And making a menu for this selection is possible?

If so, wich program should i use?

Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

You can author a DVD movie disk with a menu and multiple titles that will play on a standalone DVD player.
    A separate folder containing pictures will be ignored by the player, so no, it's not possible.
    Played on a PC, you would simply open the picture folder and select the images one at a time for viewing.

3. kaposznyak

kaposznyak Newbie

And what if the dvd-player's manual says it is able to play jpeg images? Then the given player will show the images?

To explain the situation, i am going to make 11 or so copies of the above mentioned dvd-composition. Some of the future viewers might have an advanced dvd player, i would like to know if they have the chance.

4. attar

attar Senior member

If the standalone will allow the folder containing the images to be selected, then that would be great - but I find that if a DVD movie is authored to the disk, then the other folder is ignored.
    I have three players;the Panasonic doesn't play image files, while the Philips and RCA do, but in no case will those two allow the selection of an image folder if a DVD movie is present.
    What might be possible is to create a slide show and include that on the disk.
    I haven't tried that route.
    You might want to post on the VideoHelp site for more ideas.
    http://forum.videohelp.com/

5. kaposznyak

kaposznyak Newbie

6. attar

attar Senior member

If the images in the folder are all the same resolution, it's possible to use the likes of VirtualDub to create an AVI file that can be converted to DVD format and that included in the compilation with the other AVI files.
    For example, if the same camera took all the images at the same resolution they can be renumbered in sequence and loaded into VirtualDub.
    A frame rate, such as .2 fps would ensure that each image was on screen for five seconds.
    The rate is then changed to something like 29.97 fps before saving as an AVI file.

There would be a problem if some of the images were taken with the camera rotated from landscape to portrait (e.g one image is 2592x1944;the camera then rotated, the next image is 1944x2592).
    Each of the portrait images would have to be resized and pillarboxed.
    VirtualDub can do that one at a time;tedious but doable.

7. kaposznyak

kaposznyak Newbie

Thanks, but i have 300+ pictures...

8. toliman

toliman Member

this might be an old reply, but, if you add 300 photos, it's essentially creating 300 chapters (not entirely accurate, but it's similar).

what most of the photo to DVD apps do, is encode the photos into an encoded video stream, and then add chapters every 2 minutes to the video. it doesn't make it all that manageable, but most DVD players will fall over if you try to exceed chapter 99.

the PGC code will let you, but the DVD spec isn't always stuck to.

however, you can add 40 to 90 pictures per "video" / group, each chapter can be, technically, 1 second long, to 0.5 seconds long.

so title 1 would be movie 1, title 2 would be movie 2, title 3 would be photos 1-50, title 4 51-100, etc, all the way to title 20+ if you want.

it won't have audio, but it will work as directed. you can definitely add 5 groups of 80-90 photos, and the DVD will work to provide all the chapter markers needed.

i don't know which authoring programs will let you add in that many images, i used to rely on dvd-lab, but most authoring apps should let you do this.

try to keep the number of pictures grouped into smaller chunks, there's nothing more tedious than skipping ahead 43 chapters by remote control because you forgot to add in an auto-play to 97 individual pictures and a return to main menu at the end of the picture chain.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  9. kaposznyak

kaposznyak Newbie

Thanks for the advice, i have already finished the project, by making a dvd disc and adding the photos to an "extras" directory.
    I found it easier to "distribute" the picures via pc.