1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD with messed up filesystem (protection?)

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by sipos, Sep 8, 2011.

1. sipos

sipos Member

I'm trying to backup a DVD to my hard disk by copying the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories. I intend to rip or convert and compress these later. Normally this presents no problem but, with a particular DVD, I always get read errors. If I look at the file sizes, it appears that the files on the DVD total to about 57GB when looking on both windows 7 and Linux.

I've tried playing the DVD in mplayer and VLC and, if I use the DVD menus, it works fine but, if I look at which title is playing when I play it through the menus and try to play the same title without using DVD menus, it fails to play with a read error. There are a lot of titles on the DVD (99) many of which are roughly the length of the film.

Obviously, there is something screwed up with the filesystem on the DVD - it can't really have 57GB of files on it and it can't have 90+ copies of the film. I guess that it must have been deliberately screwed up in such a way as to make it work when played using the menus but, hard to rip. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can do it? If it helps, it's a Disney DVD.

2. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

You need to use an up to date ripper such as DVDFab or AnyDVD to copy the files to your HDD.