1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Woes

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sheckie, Nov 3, 2004.

1. sheckie

sheckie Member

I hope someone can help. Here is my tale...I successfully burn a blank dvd-r, using a TDK disc...I play the burnt dvd-r disc on my JVC stand alone dvd player and it works fine, when I go to another house, play the same dvd-r on the same jvc stand alone, they have the same dvd player, it skips, freezes, etc...what can this be? Their TV is about 18 years old, has direct tv set up, video/audio wires from the dvd to the tv are in fine but still skips and freezes, go back to my house, plays fine (this has happened over and over)...it should play though. What can be wrong?

Please help if anyone has any ideas.Thanks...

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Even though it may seem odd it's possible that the players may have been made from lots of slightly different components or the firmwares may have been altered a bit between lots. Of course this is just conjecture on my part but it's the best conjecture I can come up with at the moment :)

One thing you can do to increase compatibility is to burn slower or try different high quality media.

3. sheckie

sheckie Member

Thank you. I am just starting to try different media, hear much about RITEK, used Maxell, same problems there, and yes, I have burned at much slower speeds. If you can think of anything else it would be appreciated. Thank you. Its a struggle but keeps me interseted and eager to get this working. This site has been very helpful, I made sure I reviewed all guides and similar problems before I posted mine.

4. Nephilim

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  5. sheckie

sheckie Member

I will thanks. Testing begins tonight.

Have a good one.

6. sheckie

sheckie Member

Update - Success! New media format RITEK blank dvd-r's worked great! They played on both stand alone dvd players I tested! I also burned at a slower speed, but think it was the brand dvd-r that made this happen. TDK, MAXELL did not play correctly but RITEK did, I have a Samsung dvd burner.

thanks for all your help

7. Nephilim

Anytime and don't be a stranger :)

8. sheckie

sheckie Member

I won't and I hope this info helps out others also.

Great site and efforts by all!

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I would add that if you can't burn at the disc's rated speed the media is a bad match for your burner.

10. sheckie

sheckie Member

Gotcha, thank you also. I think that may have been a problem also.

11. sheckie

sheckie Member

Update - Not so good news, its happening again, picture was freezing and breaking up. However, I did not know I had this firewall features from MS set up on my PC, I had no idea, I had, looks like so far, three successful burns with great quality. Could that have been the problem all along, the firewall?When I am burning, I have my cable connection on, that is all, I never touch my PC while its burning.

12. Nephilim

It's possible the firewall may be using system resources that should be left to the burning process so you may want to experiment with shutting it off while burning.

What make/model burner are you using? What firmware version is installed?

13. sheckie

sheckie Member

Thanks...I will get the info tonight, lets hope that was the problem. Thank you again, I will update you tonight/tomorrow.

Have a great day.

14. sheckie

sheckie Member

Update - Lite-On DVD burner and the Firewall was from Microsoft, does this help?

15. Nephilim

The MS firewall shouldn't cause a problem but you might want to disable it just to say you did.

I've noticed some folks have trouble with Riteks in Lite-Ons so you may want to check for an updated firmware. Nero Info Tool will tell you what version is installed then you can check http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=17 for a new one.

Firmware is basically a set of updatable instruction that reside on a chip in the burner and they tell the burner what to do with different media :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  16. sheckie

sheckie Member

Thaks again...the layers of info/detail is amazing, I know the end result will be great! I will keep you updated.

Your very informative and helpful.