1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd won't play in DVD player OR pc.. HELP

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by maxdes, May 23, 2007.

1. maxdes

maxdes Member

I tried convertxtodvd and nero both. When the dvd is finished I try and play it and it won't load. in the dvd player it just sists at loading and in the pc it just keeps trying to read the disk over and over, and I can't even explore the disk because it won't stop trying to load the disk.

The file is an avi. I get the message our project contains more PAL than NTSC material, but will be encoded in NTSC if you use the current settings and I have chosen to make it ntsc as I live the the states. It is a divx movie.

I tried Buffalo media Pro to convert from PAL to NTSC, but it strips my ac3 audio from the movie. But it WILL let me convert to NTSC MPEG. Just no sound. Also the quality gets pretty degraded doing that. I have no clue why it won't play. I think it strips the audio due to only supporting stereo and mono audio.

Can anyone help at all? I know I get stream decoding errors in vso convertx, but in nero I get NO errors.

The movie file plays back fine on my pc in it's current form.....

2. attar

attar Senior member

ConvertXtoDVD saves the output to a folder.If you click on one of the VOB files does it play and sound ok?

3. maxdes

maxdes Member

Plays back fine with dvd shrink. same issue after burning with dvd shrink. really confuzzled.

4. attar

attar Senior member

are you using good media and burning at 4x?

5. maxdes

maxdes Member

I am using dvd's that have worked fine for me, and it is burning at 2.4 for some reason.... won't change from that. Whoich is weird since the burner is 8x i think and 4x for dvdrw.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Consider posting a Nero log in the Nero Forum.

7. maxdes

maxdes Member

I tried dvd shrink after avitodvd(from the dvd files), nero (the avi file itself), convertxtodvd(the avi itself).... Same result.

I can't post a log now, I'm at work.....

8. Suba

Suba Regular member

Why not try GSpot. Load the file in and see what format it is (software is free). Try original and converted file. If converted is Mpeg2,PAL it will not play in DVD player, it will play with your software player like NERO or PowerDVD from CyberLink, that one is little more reliable.
    If your file is Mpeg2 dvd compliant, NTSC than it should work. Mind you, you cannot mix PAL and NTSC on one DVD unless you do your own authoring with good software.
    To convert DivX to Mpeg,NTSC I use TMPGEnc Xpress and have pretty good results. 5.1AC3 will get converted to stereo AC3 if you buy there $20 plugin.

9. maxdes

maxdes Member

It is XVID 1.1.2 Final Codec
    560x240
    25 fps
    Dolby ac3 audio 48khz 192kb/s
    mpeg4

All from original file. All from gspot info.

10. maxdes

maxdes Member

Doesn't Specify PAL OR NTSC. it's greyed out.....

Also... shows that I can burn at x4 or x8, but switches to 2.4 even though the media is x16.

I figure my burner is taking a poop. :eek:(

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  11. Suba

Suba Regular member

25 fps is PAL format. PAL is grayed out because it is not pure PAL. Normal PAL 720x576. Did you check the file after conversion with ConvertX? What does it say than? If it is converting to 23.94 or 29.97 than it is NTSC format, if not you will have problem playing on majority of North American DVD players.
    If your burner is switching to slower speed it could be media or burner going bad. It checks for data transfer and adjusts speed accordingly. For DVD it has to be continuous stream of data.

Last edited: May 25, 2007