1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD wont play on player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by brandvok, Apr 2, 2005.

1. brandvok

brandvok Member

Hey guy's I got a little problem that I was wondering if anyone could help me with because I shure cant figure it out. K here we go I have been using maxell DVD +RW's to record and copy DVD's the first one I did was a copy of James and the Jiant Peach "region Code 1" I had never done this before so I just wanted to see if it would work, witch it did beautifuly. So then I downloaded a movie off the internet that was .avi format and used a program called WinAVI to convert it in to dvd format. once I had the audio and video TS files I used DVD Decrypter to make an ISO of it and burned it straight to the dvd off of my hard drive. The dvd play's fine when I put it in my p.c but as soon as I put it in to the dvd player it gives me one of two messages, it says "disk playback prohibited by region limatations" or "The Disk is dirty" Now at first I thought that it was the Region code thing but if that was the case then why would the first dvd I made (copy of James and the giant peach) play just fine and the second not? and if it's a disk compatibility problem then why would the first movie play and the second not? because the dvd's are all the same brand. When I first put the copy of James and the giant peach in to my player it also didnt want to work,the clean disk message came up over and over even though the disk was bran new and perfictly clean, so I left it and decided to try one more time the next morning and it worked!?! so I dont know what the hell is going on, if any one has any ideas that would be great because this is getting really frusterating:)

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Sounds like the movie burned OK but the player is having a tough time reading it. That may just be a disc compatibility problem. You may want to try some different media. Those +RWs are great for practicing with but once you can do consistent burns, then you may find a regular DVD-R more compatible with your playback equipment. I'd try some Ritek or Taiyo Yudens.

ScubaPete made a guide about media here:

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide12.html

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes could be media? but i didnt know dvd decrypter could make an iso from a folder on HD? can it?

i thought it only read from dvdrom drives, and can burn an iso!

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i have a couple of new cyberhome ch-400 standalones, and they won't read any of my RW disks. (just a comment, i have no probs myself as don't use RW media, just adding to the compatibility advice).

advice so far is to go with fasfrank's comments...

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Rotary,
    Decrypter can make an ISO from a variety of image file types but can't from a VIDEO_TS folder so I don't know how Crash is managing to do this. He has to create one of the supported file types with WinAVI for Decrypter to be able to write the ISO.

Apparently he did because he managed to burn it to a DVD, although it didn't work very well.

Something is missing here.

Crash, can you tell us how you can do this? I put Decrypter in ISO write mode and the supported files don't include any .ifo, .bup or .vob files, and does not give an option to convert a video folder to an ISO.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i can only get it to read from cdrom drives? i cant get it to see an .nrg or .img etc etc on read?

umm????????

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If you put it in ISO write mode you can select a source file. There is a menu "Files of type" that gives you the supported file type.

8. brandvok

brandvok Member

ya hey sorry guys I was unclear:) I didnt make the iso with dvd decrypter I made it with WinAVI and burned it with dvd decrypter. but thanks for all the suggestions I'm gonna try some different disk's today and see what happens.

9. brandvok

brandvok Member

hey do you guy's think that the problem could be with the actual file that I originally tryed to burn from my hard drive? because when I opened it with dvd shrink I noticed that there was no menue in the file. does a dvd need a menue to play properly on a dvd player?