1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd write error, please help

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tammybug, May 8, 2007.

1. tammybug

tammybug Member

I have read several of the forum posts trying to arrive at an answer to the problem I am having but as of yet no luck. Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong or what the write erroe at 981648 (16)-code 030200 medium error means? I am new at burning dvd's and also new to this forum but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Maybe you could elaborate a little on the software that you are using, and the steps that you are taking. What program is giving you that error message? Is it DVD Shrink, or your burning software? Let me know exactly what you are trying to do and I can walk you through it.

Edit: You did not need to make two separate posts.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  3. tammybug

tammybug Member

Thaks for your response. I'm sorry I posted twice, I'm new to all of this but it won't happen again. What I'm using is DVD Shrink 3.0 and then to copy the dvd I'm using Copy to DVD. I open the disc, and that does an analysis, then I backup the disc, next I go to my program Copy to DVD and open that folder containg the file and put those files into the video file and write the files to the disc. This is where it begins to burn the files to the disc but stops midway and gives me the error...write error at 981648(16)-code 03 02 00 medium error. It has never done this before(I have used this for the past 2 weeks) but it started doing this today. I hope this helps you so that you will be able to help me. thanks again.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I'm not familiar with Copy to DVD. It that program put out by Sonic? You said that DVD Shrink is able to analyze the disk without a problem. That seems strange because DVD Shrink is an old program and needs help to get the job done.

I'm not sure what movie it is that you are trying to do, but maybe follow these steps. Download the following programs links are provided.

DVD Decrypter Link
    RipIt4Me Link

Now RipIt4Me should do everything for you. It will use DVD Shrink, which you already have, and DVD Decrypter. Set the target folder for the output file such as D:\MovieTitle\VIDEO_TS then use the 1-Click mode. It will make PLS files for decrypter and run the program automatically. The last thing it will do is an analysis with DVD Shrink. Shrink will be left open for you to either shrink the movie, or close it to run other programs such as VobBlanker. Make sure to download DVD Decrypter first.

RipIt4Me had their own site, but the site is not there any longer. The program may be awhile before it gets another update. Many of us like to have several different varieties of ripping engines. Another free one is DVDFab Decrypter. Use this and another free tool listed under it on the same site called Free DVD if you have problems opening it in DVD Shrink.

DVDFab HD Decrypter Link

There are other programs to have that are free, but I do not want to overwhelm you right now. You do however need a new burning engine. There is a free one that you can get. It is called ImgBurn. On the site I am giving you there is a forum that discusses how to use the program. It is pretty simple but there are several different modes. If you need help please ask.

ImgBurn Link

Instructions:
    1) Put the DVD in the drive and open RipIt4Me. The program will recognize the disk.
    2) Select a different destination if you do not like the one it chooses (like the example I gave you above).
    3) When it is finished you may use DVD Shrink to create an ISO or a VIDEO_TS folder.
    4) Run ImgBurn. If you are burning a VIDEO_TS folder you will need to use the build feature.

Let me know if you need any assistance along the way and I will be glad to help.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

syxguns
    Copy To DVD from VSO is a burning suite similar to Nero's Burning ROM. It's a supported burner and shows in Shrink when the program is present. It should be checked so that Shrink can start it automatically.

tammybug
    Are you using any different DVDs from what you were before?

6. tammybug

tammybug Member

Thank you all for your help and support. I figured out it was because I changed the type of DVD's I had previously been using. If anyone else has this problem I would suggest using Memorex instead of Imation. Again thank you all for helping me.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

We see the problem fairly often. That's why I asked if you'd changed media. Memorex isn't really one of the better brands. However they have started using Ricoh for some of their media again. Get DVD Identifier from CDFreaks if you want to find who manufactures your media. Sometimes the same company will manufacture media for both Memorex and Imation. Glad you got the problem solved.