1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD writer 400 i freezes windows xp please help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jotic, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Jotic

Jotic Member

it all started after i formated my HD and reinstalled windows...since then i can't get my computer to boot but once out of every 10 times or so...rest of the time it freezes at the windows loading screen..i can't update firmware bcuz i need to have HP's burning software installed and i can't use the recovery disks becuz I installed a new motherboard...any ideas?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

When you begin your boot, hit F8 again and again constantly until you get to the screen that allows you to choose to open windows in the "Safe Mode". Once there, I suggest that you go to msconfig and "disable all in the "startup tab".

That way you'll be booting to just windows and not to a program that seems to be causing your problem.

Option # 1. Once you have started Windows in the Normal Mode - reload your programs from your backup disc or HD. Wherever you backed up your C: drive before you formatted your HD. In the event that you didn't bother to backup your files -

Option # 2. Reinstall XP again. Then begin by upgrading your BIOS then your SP1 and SP2 packs. When that is complete, you can then re-install all of your programs.

Option # 3. Contact Microsoft.
    For a $35.00 fee, they will trouble-shoot your problem to a full boot.

Begin here - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=winxp

Good luck,

Pete

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jotic,

Sorry I forgot to tell you - after you formatted your HD, you should use the discs that came with your PC - Your restore discs if you MUST have all your drivers. If you are like me . . . I just install XP and then let XP fin my drivers for my sound card, burner, etc. The only reason you need your restore discs is for motherboard sound / Video etc. If you have a separate Video card and sound card AND an XP program then you don't need HP's stuff.

As I said before - If you can solve it in the safe Mode - good - Otherwise start over with either your restore discs OR an XP disc if you have one -

Cheers,

Pete