1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD writer damn slow..I got IMATION dvd writer..

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by roonie89, Jan 8, 2008.

1. roonie89

roonie89 Member

I got a Imation dvd writer..It is not even 1 year old...It was working good in my old com but after since i changed my com to new assembled one wit core 2 duo 2.2ghz 1gb ram and 965 mb i got problems..It worked perfectly after i fixed it in my new computer but after a week it got damn slow and for now writing a dvd it takes almost an hour..It used to take not even 10mins before..Both copying and burning takes the same time a lot..
    Mine is Imation DVD writer i guess it is 18x..I checked it in nero info tool firware version is given as PSl1(i dont know wat is firware even though i checked)...And also i include whenever i burn something in the dvd writer or copy something from dvd my computer gets damn slow..mouse becomes shaky...dunoo y it is like tat even though i got 1gb ram ,core 2 duo

Please help me out Advance thanks

(sry for my poor english)

2. kantong

kantong Member

I was gonna say it depended also on your CPU, but you seem to have a pretty good one. The only reason I can think is the program you used to burn is set to a slow speed, trying checking that.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It sounds like it slipt in PIO mode. Check the guide below, you might need to enable DMA:
    http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

If that's not the case, run an ani virus/spyware/crapware and check for infestation.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  4. roonie89

roonie89 Member

ya thank you guys..It was actually in PIO mode i changed it to DMA if available now its back to normal speed..thanks a lot

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Usually that happens if you have some consecutive reading errors, Windows switches to PIO mode. Luckily, you had one of the esiest fixes!
    Cheers!

6. rick777

rick777 Member

I'm using a Sony DVD RW DRU 710-a, with the exact same problem. I had it in my old computer case and it worked fine. Built a new computer 2.2ghz intel pentium, 2gig RAM, and whenever i burn a cd or dvd, my computer starts acting slow, I checked the DMA settings and they're set to auto dectect. Ran a virus scan and nothing shows up. Any suggestions?

Thanks

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Second sony drive with this issue reported.. or is it a double post?

8. rick777

rick777 Member

I figured it out after readoing a few different fourms. I uninstalled the Primary IDE channel in device manager that the dvd burner was connected to ( I have a SATA HD) and rebooted, it detected everything and was set to DMA instead of PIO. Works great now.

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

DMA is your friend, always make sure it tags along...
    Same problem like the OP had, same easy fix!:~)
    Good luck!