1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD writer doesn't work but is recognised by system

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ooshak, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ooshak

ooshak Member

text for forum:

My dvd writer stopped working. Recorded "succesfully" (when I checked afterwards -nothing was recorded) one dvd (had recorded with clonecd and clonedvd about a hundred copies before) and in the middle of the second one stopped -couldn't see blank dvd media any more.

The dvd writer is seen in hardware profile as "working properly". Cannot recognise or play neither blank or written cds/dvds.
    The only things that changed in my system that could be suspiscious are:
    -the first dvd I wanted to back up and didn't succeed mentioned sth for the first time since I copy about forced subtitles. I really don't remember what I checked there (it was the first time, so I mention it for any case)
    -some rather long time ago I got message from Windows about Cyclic redundancy check. This is when I checked DMA mode and saw it was 2 (that probably was supposed to be 4).
    -one dfay before I moved my pc from one room to another (change of power supply plague)
    -expiration of Norton Internet Security two days before.

My system is Win Xp Pro SP1 (cannot install SP2 now, since I cannot use the writer). I run CloneDvd, CloneCd, AnyCd, Sony Vegas 6 and all Sony Media Components (Media Manager, Director, Sound Forge and so on), DvdDecrypter (never use it though). I had before Roxio EMC and Nero, but uninstalled both plus used their "cleaning" programs because of many problems they created (compatibility issues I guess). I posted in Slysoft forum, thinking it was AnyDvd that caused the problem, but the members are positive that this is not the case.

I already did the following:

-upgraded firmware for my dvd writer (cannot find newer driver as my dvd writer is mentioned in system as DVD RW IDE 16x. After long researched I understood the manufacturer must be BTC branded (cheap stuff that came with my pc) and its driver as listed is cdrom.inf (from Windows drivers database, was unable to find any other or newer one + nothing on BTC site)
    -took pc to "the last configuartion that work" or whatever they called it
    -used system restore (didn't work, took it back to today)
    -removed other drivers associated with dvd writer -there was anydvd driver (when removed the writer dissapeared completely, even from hardware list), some redbook driver, and two drivers with Elby in their name. Had to unintsall and reinstall anyDvd in order to see the drive again
    -removed upper and lower filters from registry
    -disabled anydvd autorun
    -tried opening in safe mode -same result like in normal mode
    -uninstalled Sony software and since there was no change -reinstalled
    -checked DMA mode (is on 2)
    -made sure writer is on Secondary IDE Channel as master, and hard disc with Windows on Primary (have a second hard disc connected, doesn't seem to appear anywhere, only in hardware list)
    -checked drive letter (D:) and made sure unable writing to cd in options is checked
    -When I cleaned remains of Roxio instalation from pc with RoxiZap I could still see some Roxio stuff in the registry, so went and removed everything with Roxio in the name from there. Maybe it was a huge mistake? I know I'm not supposed to do it, if I don't know what exactly I do.

If it plays any role -I recently installed Windows ON the old one (hence why don't have SP2), because of other problems with system files I had. The problem was not fixed, still got the missing system file error when loading Windows, no file specified, just "/system". I didn't have time to reinstall some drivers that I thought were missing after the Windows installation (I noticed most were still there), but what COULD be missing were external graphic card (still have one onboard), motherboard drivers that came with pc, audio, Sony digital camera I use on firewire, webcam... I am not sure what else. But I think most were still there.

I really don't know what else to do. I cannot access BIOS either, for a long time now (since I installed Windows fresh few months ago on different langauge version). I don't know anyway what I could do there. Change IDE connections? I hope my explanations are not too vague, I'm a complete ammateur, most times follow instructions from forums. I hope I didn't make tooo much mess trying to fix the problem. I know many people have similar problem, and it's fixed by buying a new burner -I just cannot afford this step rigth now.

I am sorry my system description is not clear and complete -I'm writing from work, and am not able to check all info now. Thank you for your patience in reading such a long post.

Please help!

2. david66

david66 Regular member

how old is your burner? it may be time for a new burner the prices have droped to a all time low

3. ooshak

ooshak Member

That's what everybody said.
    I went to the shop and the technician agreed. He said that if the burner is seen by the system, but doesn't read/write, it means it has to be replaced. I had the old one for about three years.
    The new one works now with no problems. I'm just afraid -I got Nero 6 with it with Nero LightScribe software. I would like to use lightscribe option this new burner has, but they say Nero has compability problem with other burning software. I use AnyDvd, and other Slysoft programs plus Sony Vegas and all Sony Media package. I gues it is a question for other forum though...
    Thanks anyway.

Ooshak