1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Writer only reads/writes @1.5x speed...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by IceCream, Nov 14, 2004.

1. IceCream

IceCream Member

I recently got my Toshiba DVD Writer SD-R5112 and I downloaded a supposed firmware update but it is only reading and writing at 1.5x speed and it is suppose to read dvd's at 12x and write them at 4x. It takes almost 3 hours for dvd shrink to read through a dvd...I was reading my instructions and it says, "We strongly suggest you do not set up your writer on the same IDE channel as your hard drive. This may cause your hard drive to transfer data at a lower speed". I can't get what this means or if it applies to me or what have you so if any of you know what to do please let me know. Thanks

2. joey78

joey78 Member

well i had the same problem after updating my norton antivirus pattern files.....do you have nero installed ?

3. IceCream

IceCream Member

I sure do Nero 5 and Nero 6...

4. IceCream

IceCream Member

Actually I noticed that my writer is only reading and writing at around 0.5x speed!!! If any of you know what may be the problem please let me know. I have set the speeds in the programs to what the reader should handle but it still writes and reads at .5x!!

5. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

6. IceCream

IceCream Member

Thank you sooo much uponthis! When I first got it I tried putting DMA on but the programs couldnt read my files and on the Microsoft site it says "Compatibility testing at Microsoft has shown that enabling DMA on certain drives could cause data corruption or reduced system stability. There is no way for the user to enable DMA on these devices." so I thought it would be useless but I did what that Nephilim guy said and I deleted the driver and rebooted and put DMA on and it seems to have helped my speeds drastically. I can't thank you enough. -IceCream

7. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

IceCream,
    Doing what i can to help others. Your welcome.